Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Low Range
    • May 2007

Holley carb!

So after wondering about the carb that was fitted to the new-to-me Rover...I now know why it looks nothing like any of the common carbs...

ITS A HOLLEY!!!

I went online and after doign some reading on here and some of the UK forums, turns out the Holleys were a more economical carb to use. My dad and I are trying to keep everything as original as possible btu we will need some gaskets for this thing. Luckily I have found a Scout website that sells rebuild kits.
  • Eric W S
    5th Gear
    • Dec 2006

If you looking to keep it original, wouldn't you want a Solex or Zenith?

Comment

• thixon
      5th Gear
      • Jul 2007

If it were me, I'd dump the holley. Every one I've ever owned (admittedly 4 barrels on american v-8's) has been a bitch to own. They are notorious for clogged needle valves, and when that happens, due to what I consider a bone headed design, gas will spill over the top of the float bowl and onto the hot engine. I caught my '61 vette on fire this way. If you keep it, make sure there is not trash in your tank, and you clean/replace your fuel filter often.
      Travis
      '66 IIa 88

Comment

Low Range
        • May 2007

Eric...haha...you got me...when I said keep it original, I meant the carb itself. But I wrote that early in the morning, I now realize how silly that would be...lol

So dump the Holley? The neat thing is that I was able to fid info on it and and rebuild kits and manuals in less than a minute.

I'll start looking into the other options.

Now I need to figure out where this electric fuel pump came from.

Comment

• Tim Smith
          Overdrive
          • Nov 2006

I say keep the Holley and watch your fuel filters. Never heard of a Holley on a 2.25 but it sounds like fun. Of course, I've never owned a Holley either.

Live life on the edge!

Comment

• TeriAnn
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

If it is a type 1904 Holley from a 1960-1964 Scout with 152 Cu In 4 cyl engine (About the size of the LR four) AND if it is in good operating condition it should work well in a LR. People who used them liked the fuel economy.
            -

Teriann Wakeman_________
            Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• yorker
              Overdrive
              • Nov 2006

I have a couple of them off of parted out Rovers, They seemed to work well enough. Sandy Grice had one and got >20MPG with it IIRC.
              1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

Why change it out if you can make it work with a little effort? Go with it if it works....Spend your money and time on cooler things.
                Jason T.
                Jason
                "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• Apis Mellifera
                  3rd Gear
                  • Apr 2008

I have one on my S3. It starts instantly and I get about 14mpg. I had one on a Judson supercharged MG I had too. It didn't seem to run that well.
                  © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.

Comment

• Donnie
                    2nd Gear
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by 01001010
                    So after wondering about the carb that was fitted to the new-to-me Rover...I now know why it looks nothing like any of the common carbs...

ITS A HOLLEY!!!

I went online and after doign some reading on here and some of the UK forums, turns out the Holleys were a more economical carb to use. My dad and I are trying to keep everything as original as possible btu we will need some gaskets for this thing. Luckily I have found a Scout website that sells rebuild kits.
                    If it is a 5200 series carb used b4 computer controlled power valves, which came on the scene around 1980, they are a good unit to use for mileage. they are a 2 barrell with progressive, not vaccuum operated secondaries.. the most common source for these are from the 2300cc engines used in Pintos, and 4 cyl Fairmonts..if there are ANY wires other than the ele choke, you do not want these as they use a controller to operate the power enrichment circuitI have used them on everything from Volvos to Je???ps....is there a tag on your carb? attached to one of the top bowl screws..?????????
                    I spent most of my money on women & cars, the rest of it I just wasted.......

Comment

Low Range
                      • May 2007

Well, my dad was able to take it apart and rebuild the thing with meticulously home-made gaskets (my father's doing). Everything inside now moves freely and is free of grime and debris.

Here is two pictures of the carb...

Comment

Low Range
                        • May 2007

While im at it, here's a pic of the truck itself...

Comment

Low Range
                          • May 2007

and again... please pardon the temporary mess in the background.

Comment

• greenmeanie
                            Overdrive
                            • Oct 2006

And if you need a pardon for that garage I need ????

I need more garage room.

Cheers
                            Gregor

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                              Overdrive
                              • Apr 2008

Not to change the topic but Gregor, I'm not too familiar with rover engines that use spark plugs anymore--What exhaust setup is shown in your...um...garage photo?

PS. I'd probably fasten the child seat down a little better before I took the Rover out for a test drive.
                              --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                              (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

Working...