Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: ProLine vs Genuine

This has been a good read - and everyone has valid issues/concerns. My experiences are based on my getting a quality part for a fair price. All vendors meet that criteria on some of their stock. However, sometimes a part will rise in cost drastically (ie LR 109 front wheel cylinders) for uncertain reasons. Might be the exchange rate, supply/demand, etc. When it gets beyond my personal limit for funds, I start looking for alternatives. I have dealt with RN for almost 30 years now, along with BP, AB, DAP, and many others. RN has always seemed to me to be the most knowledgable, fastest and most correct on shipping, and all the other things that I look for in a business relationship. The others have been ok for the most part too. But, my long association and trust in RN allows me to justify paying a bit more to give them my business and the Proline stuff has been OEM quality every time.
    There are some parts I will not go cheap on - electrical, hard engine/trans. parts etc. Anything that could go catastropic, I pay extra for the best part - and sometimes the best is aftermarket. Experience, either personal or learned from this BBS will help someone make that decision and stay within a reasonable budget. That is what the Proline alternative does for us - keeps our Rovers on the road and leaves us with some gas/diesel change to drive it ...

PS - Buy your bearings locally - Timken USA is same as Timken England.
    Dana Spicer is a USA company and all flanges, u-joints etc are built using international standards - so a USA sourced driveshaft will be the same as original unless you upgrade to long spline, wide yoke units - which is ok too!

Cheers!

In case you are wondering, the Proline u-joints that I received were in CarQuest packages. However, they are made by NEAPCO, which is supposed to be a good quality brand.

You all are familiar with the various alternative parts listings right?

http://www.bayourovers.com/links2.html

ex:
    U-joints AEC Brand AEC 521 HD 286 U-joint 2 15/16" across (late)
    AEC 504 3092 U-joint 2 7/32" across (early)
    also Spicer 5-153X (for later models I believe)
    http://www.ovlr.org/OVLR.alt.parts.html

Driveshaft u-joint 1948-62 Precision 344
    Driveshaft u-joint 1962-73 Precision 369

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/...ers.htm#ujoint
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums