Thread: lug nuts question

Default lug nuts question

Hi

I am having trouble getting my socket over the lug nuts. I think that the outer cover on the lug nuts has expanded, and I am resisting banging the socket on with a hammer. Any suggestions on how to get these off with out destroying them? Or what to use for replacements once i destory them?

Also I am using a 1 1/16 inch socket, but have seen some people recomending a 28mm socket, does it really make a differeance?

thanks

Default lug nuts

had the same problem on my defender 90 i went head and beat the lug wrench with the blunt side of a splitting mawl cause no damage and did the trick.

I have used sockets as large as 1 1/8th" to deal with severely distorted lug nuts. I have also used breaker bars as long as five feet to break some lug nuts free. It never ceases to amaze me how tight some gorillas can get these lug nuts on using air tools.

It may be time to try and source out some lug nuts that aren't as badly distorted. It would suck to be by the roadside with that silly little lug wrench in the back of your Rover as the only tool on hand to remove those crazy nuts. If you are interested, I have a number of good lug nuts and sell them for $4 a piece plus shipping. I also have the older solid steel lug nuts that were standard on Range Rovers up until 1994. They are $2 a piece plus shipping.

Let me know if I can be of help.
    Cheers,
    Paul
    paulgrant@mac.com
    paulgrant@mac.com
    203-770-1699

the older style lugs are much easier to work with you just need to keep them painter to look nice. I had the same dilemma recently with the newer style and was disappointed when I found out the newer lugs have a hole drilled all the way through under the stainless cover.

The old solid steel ones are the way to go. I found that using a 1 1/16" 12 point socket let me continue to use the battered new style ones.
    The Goat, 2.8 Daihatsu Td, '73 coil conversion

thanks for the help,
    I have a breaker bar, now i just need to get that right sized socket
    and possibly some new nuts.

Default RRC lug nuts

I always watch wheel installation, and assure they 'hand torque' to 80 ft lbs each, and put 'neverseize' on the studs before the nuts go on. Overtorquing is common, and can easily crack the wheel. How deep are your pockets? Don't let anyone torque 'em with an impact wrench!

I have a set of 20 superlight alloy lugnuts for Classics for 15 bucks + ship if you would like those. I got them off Ebay by mistake. ( I know this notice is a bit late).