Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jumping Out of Gear

Please tell me that you didn't turn the nut with the red circle on it...

You never ever turn that nut!

Ever!

Unless you are trying to adjust the reverse gear backlash selector lever distance.

Then it's ok.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Quote Originally Posted by jp-
    Please tell me that you didn't turn the nut with the red circle on it...

You never ever turn that nut!

Ever!

Unless you are trying to adjust the reverse gear backlash selector lever distance.

Then it's ok.
    Ummm...well, I did turn it. It was loose and the top PTO cover wouldn't come off with it sticking out. Plus I was trying to adjust the reverse gear backlash selector lever distance...????

Default Jumping out of 2nd

I have the same problem with my '73 Series III... I'm jumping out of 2nd when ever I reduce power. I do have an overdrive fitted but no fluctuation on my speedo. (By the way...why did they print speeds above 45mph on those speedos??) Ive heard so many solutions for this popping-out problem that I'm not sure if I need to crack the tranny or replace the top.......
    Thanks

I've got an early 80's SIII with the same problem (jumps out of 2nd when reducing power - it's sometimes hard to get into 2nd too). I've an overdrive and no issues with the speedo. I'm suspecting - from all the reading I can do - that this has something to do with the detent balls. I've never tackled them and don't know what fixing them would involve (cleaning, new spring, new ball, ?). I'd like to know the steps to work my way to solving this one, hopefully without step one being "remove transmission".
    77 88" SIII County SW
    82 Jp CJ8