Thread: Release bearing going?

Default Release bearing going?

Something weird happened on the way home from work today, it was almost like the engine was losing power/clutch was slipping.

The clutch pedal felt weird too as if it was higher than normal? I pulled over to have a look to see if I was leaking fluid but I wasn't, got back in and kept going and it did it again about 5 minutes later, this time on the down shift the shifter wouldn't go into 3rd even though my foot was right to the floor! I pumped the clutch pedal and it went into gear this time mind you with a little protest. Again I stopped to check and again after a couple of minutes on the side of the road it ran perfectly for the rest of the drive.

It's a 68 Series 2a diesel.

Alan

Does it feel like there is a gap developing in the peddle?

I wouldn't say a gap but maybe there was an air pocket in the line? I bled the hydrualic system when I got home and it's been fine...but I just hate not knowing! It's not like you can go in there and check out the release bearing!!

I would check the heavy pins that connect the clutch actuating rod to the clutch as it goes into the transmission.

Strangely there are times that my clutch hydraulics are affected by whether or not the fluid is a little low. Of course the fact that it gets low probably means that I have some tiny leak somewhere. . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

You may have a slave cylinder that is failing, thus, the occasional "problems" actuating the clutch. It may not be leaking out but leaking internally. It's an easy replacement on a Series II-A.

Jeff
    Jeff Aronson
    Vinalhaven, ME 04863
    '66 Series II-A SW 88"
    '66 Series II-A HT 88"
    '80 Triumph TR-7 Spider
    '80 Triumph Spitfire
    '66 Corvair Monza Coupe
    http://www.landroverwriter.com

Well it hasn't done it since I bled it, and I had it out this past weekend with the club and no problems...I'll just keep my eye on it!