Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Cracked 6cyl head

Ze photos have deceived you!

I couldnt have done it and kept the small speck of sanity I cling to if I didnt remove the floorboards and tunnel. It was just too easy to remove those panels- I had taken them out before and put them back in with the minimum rivets needed; a few shots with the drill and they were right out.

And black to the biceps...tell me about it! I was black to the shoulders even with taking the tunnel off. And I never remember touching my face when my hands are black with gunk..

Will
    '74 109 2.6 RHD

Looks fun, I think if I did that I would keep taking things apart until is was down to the frame. Maybe while its so easy it might be worth it to degrease/rust and put some paint on the bulkhead.

Default looks familiar

Good work! Yes the Chevy Stovebolt is a great engine. A 250 cid 6 cylinder will work fine if thats what you can get easily. Here are a couple of pics in an even more dismantled state. Scotty's adapter in second photo.

good luck and keep posting! All the best, Michael
    Michael

Back in the 1990's there were some peope who wanted to swap in a Dodge Slant Six engine- I don't know if any of them ever did but today with the NP-435 transmission adapters out there it could be easily done. Just another engine/tranny possibility.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Cutter, I'll be cleaning up the bulkhead for sure. Ive been working on it since the pics.

Michael, thanks for the pics! Hopefully my bulkhead will be something close to as clean as yours when Im finished.

Yorker,
    Ive heard that those slant sixes are good engines. I like most anything thats inline.
    Will
    '74 109 2.6 RHD

Quote Originally Posted by swingkeel View Post
    Good work! Yes the Chevy Stovebolt is a great engine. A 250 cid 6 cylinder will work fine if thats what you can get easily.
    Just to be really, really **** but the 194/230/250/292 series of Chevy sixes are not Stovebolts. The commonly referred to Stovebolts were the 216/235/261 series that were available up to about 1963 when the gen 3 engines came out. The 1st generation of 6s were also stovebolts but are not nearly as common.

The stovebolt monicker came about because of the slotted head screws
    used throughout the engine. The practice disappeared with the gen 3s.

With that somewhat useless fact explained we can get back to normal programming.

Quote Originally Posted by NepentheSea View Post
    Yorker,
    Ive heard that those slant sixes are good engines. I like most anything thats inline.

I am a big fan of straight sixes- well at least the overhead valve ones, I don't like the flathead and F head ones. In any case any of the Ford/Chevy or Dodge I6's would be a good choice for a 109. The Slant 6 has a legendary reputation it would be a cool choice if it fits. I have yet to see one in a LR though. I've seen the Ford 300 6, and Chevy 6's a in LR's few times.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

Quote Originally Posted by NepentheSea View Post
    Top of the head- I think Ive got the euro spec six.
    And as it sits now. At least theres some company; cows and the dump truck.
    Correct that is teh euro/ROW head with the integral intake. If you are looking for a new head, you could upgrade to the NADA westlake setup, or get a head from a Rover 6 out of a P4 sedan.

-Jeff

Default learned something

I didnt realize that! My first car had a 235 cid stovebolt in it, so I am a little embarassed. I am glad you pointed it out.....sure do like saying "Stovebolt" though.

All the best, Michael
    Michael

Anybody ever shipped a short block?
    Im looking for price experience and any suggestions (shippers, crating, etc).
    Thanks!!
    -Will
    Will
    '74 109 2.6 RHD