Thread: Fuel filler hose

Default Fuel filler hose

Hey everyone,

while adding a bypass filter to prevent vapor lock (e fuel pump to follow) I tried removing the tank to clean and por 15 the outside. The bolts weren't cooperating so I abandoned the idea, but not before I tried taking the filler hose off. When putting gas back in I noticed dampness on the "cloth" cover...upon closer examination I can see a tear in the cloth and the hose (darn thing is 43 years old!).

Question is, can I pick up some hose from the big chain stores and will it work properly? If so, any idea of the size? I would pull it off, but it'll be over 100 degrees down south and the thought of vapors escaping in the heat freaks me out.

I would order via our hosts, but I'd rather not wait on shipping (nor pay for it for such a small part) sine I have my Pertronix Ignitor coming on Fri. Ideally I'll have the hose fixed, timing dialed in and Pertronix installed by the end of the weekend so I can enjoy her again.

As always, any help is appreciated, so if you know the diameter of the hose and the length, help a fellow Landie out

J

I don't know which model series you have, but I would be hesitant about putting a hose from "the big box stores" on there. The material has to be formulated to resist fuel, most of their hose is designed for water or sewage. Add that to the fact that the filler hoses are preformed and in some cases have different diameters at the opposite ends. If it were me, I'd order the proper replacement, fuel is one of those systems you don't want to "make do" when it comes to parts. Just my opinion. (of course in the case of emergency repairs to get out of somewhere nasty, or home, then anything goes).
    Gale Breitkreutz
    '03 Disco
    '74 Series III 88 (sold, 4/13)
    '47 CJ2A

I doubt you'll find a tapered hose like that anywhere.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Even if you find the right rubber to handle gasoline, it needs to be thick enough to have some strength, and that particular hose is a pain in the neck because there are a couple of bends in it, that I would think would be impossible to use an off-the-shelf hose to make do with. Hell, I had a difficult enough time trying to get the correct hose (with all the bends in it) to fit.

My opinion. I wish there were an alternative, because you're right, takes too long, expensive, etc. I just don't think there's another way around it.

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

For better shipping time/cost to SC contact Bill at TNTLR or George at RDS.

Thanks everyone! I didn't realize it was tappered. You're right, since I am dealing with a combustable material, better do it right and not get too anxious to drive her. Darn shipfitters disease!!!

Quote Originally Posted by albersj51 View Post
    I didn't realize it was tappered.
    Hmm...I think I was remembering the wrong vehicle, sorry. Cancel that tapered thing--I don't know if the Rover filler is tapered. Probably not. I had a flashback to an old Jeep M715 I used to own. That had the tapered hose.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

88s are tapered and have two bends in 'em. 109 with the rear tank maybe different
    '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
    '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
    '76 Spitfire 1500
    '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)