Thread: Top End Oil issue

Default Top End Oil issue

[U]HOW MUCH OIL SHOULD I BE SEEING under the valve covers ON A 3.9 V8?[U]

I have had an overheating problem that turned out to be a head gasket leak (water jacket to #1 cyl.). After bolting up the new (composite) head gasket and starting the engine I find that I don't get very much oil up top. I don't know how much it got before because I have never had the rocker covers off before.

While I do see a small amount of oil making it into the bottom of the heads, I don't see any oil comming out of the rocker shaft at the rockers or any oil gettin onto the valves or pushrods.

[U]So I wan to know...HOW MUCH OIL SHOULD I BE SEEING ON A 3.9 V8?[U]

My oil light goes out (Truck has no pressure guage). I pulled a rocker assembly and checked all the passages. I also checked the passage from head to block with a piece of safety wire. The supply hole passes through the head gasket into the block fine. I also squirted some oil into the supply hole and verified that it came out the oil sensor hole.

Also who out there makes a pressure gauge adapter? I hate not knowing my oil pressure.
    Last edited by Kurt H; 10-11-2010 at 10:20 AM. Reason: more specifics

Quote Originally Posted by Kurt H View Post
    Also who out there makes a pressure gauge adapter? I hate not knowing my oil pressure.
    Get a 1/2" fine thread bolt, 1/2" long. Yes, they do make them that short, but if you can't find one, get the shortest you can find and turn the shank off till it's 1/2". In the lathe, square off the under side of the head. Drill thru a 1/16" Hole, then drill and tap the head end for 1/8" FPT. Use copper crush gasket. There's your adapter.
    Last edited by Terrys; 10-11-2010 at 03:14 PM. Reason: better description of bolt

Thanks,
    Figured worst case I would have to make a banjo bolt adapter with two crush washers.

Kurt