X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NAS110
    Low Range
    • Apr 2007

P38 woes

So my wife's P38 has suddenly developed a rough idle and is running poorly. I plugged my OBDII scanner (Innova 3100a) in a pulled the following info:

P0300 - random misfire detected

P0304 - cylinder 4 misfire detected

P0307 - cylinder 7 misfire detected

P1300 - catalyst damaging misfire multiple cylinders. Drive cycle C: Signal out of range - above maximum

P0442 - Evaporative Emission System leak detected (small leak)

Like I mentioned above, these problems manifested themselves overnight, there were no indications that there was trouble brewing.

So...million dollar question, "what's wrong?"

If I'm lucky, this is a "common" problem...chuckle...yeah right...so any ideas where to begin?

thanks in advance!
    Brian
  • rovertek
    1st Gear
    • Apr 2007

my experience is multiple random misfires usually is the coil paks need replacing sorry they are expensive, and i would check the gas cap for the evap problem

Comment

• NAS110
      Low Range
      • Apr 2007

is there a way to test the coil pack or at least verify it's the culprit?

thanks!

Comment

• rovertek
        1st Gear
        • Apr 2007

unfortunately most of the test equiptment available does not cover land rover so you have to rely on your obd-2 and knoledge of the codes and prior experience, or you are at the mercy of your land rover dealer, you can check rovers north?

Comment

• NAS110
          Low Range
          • Apr 2007

Okay, I am looking over the service manual and wanted to get some level of confidence that the coil is the problem before i start pulling things apart. It's not rocket science, but I do have to remove the intake manifold to get to the coil pack which is convieniently tucked in the back of the engine.

Anyway, the fault code indicates that cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring. Looking at the diagram, the leads for 4 and 7 coicidentally are right next to each other. Is this a good enough indication that the coil is bad?

thanks again!

Comment

• rovertek
            1st Gear
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by NAS110
            Okay, I am looking over the service manual and wanted to get some level of confidence that the coil is the problem before i start pulling things apart. It's not rocket science, but I do have to remove the intake manifold to get to the coil pack which is convieniently tucked in the back of the engine.

Anyway, the fault code indicates that cylinder 4 and 7 are misfiring. Looking at the diagram, the leads for 4 and 7 coicidentally are right next to each other. Is this a good enough indication that the coil is bad?

thanks again!
            you usually can weasel the whole pack out with just unplugging a few things and unbolting the unit and last i knew the coil paks were only available as a whole unit, but seriously talk to rovers no. its a toll free call and there always very helpful (800-403-7591).....

Comment

• singingcamel
              4th Gear
              • Oct 2006

try replacing the plug wires, they may be arching

Comment

• bpack
                Low Range
                • Oct 2007

Misfire-Spark Plugs need to be changed more than likely

Last week I had a misfire on # 3,4,7,8 and find out the spsark plugs needed to be changed and then found out the #7 plug wire need to be changed. That's all I can tell you about your post.
                Bpack

Comment

Working...