Thread: new 02 disco owner needing help

Default new 02 disco owner needing help

HI every one...im new to land rovers have had mine for about 8monts and love it so far. I got it with a couple of minor problems that got fixed...its got a 110k miles now and i got some new problems...first off the 3 amigos are here just wounedering how bad is this problem if not fixed the ABS still works and i have felt the TC pulse when mudding...second is recently im geting the vibration at 40mph and was thinking it was alighnment cuz it slightly pulls to the left and needs new tires but ive been reading about the front shaft wear now im wored...second is since i bought it i cant get it to shift in to 4 low havent needed it yet would like to have it... sry about the long post...any help would be grate thanks...

It sounds like you are wanting to do this work yourself. If you are okay paying someone else, and if you live anywhere near Indiana, you should visit a privately-owned, Rover repair shop called, PT Schram Rover Repair. Has all the diagnostics and tools, but without all the costs of being affiliated with Land Rover. Great guy too.

Without seeing your truck, I would bet that the vibration is the driveshaft. Any information you need to do the work can be found in a service manual, or possibly even here on this forum (I have not searched it). Try greasing the u-joints first, but you will probably have to replace them.

Will the lever for 4-low just not move into position (causing the truck not to shift into 4 low), or will the lever move into position, but the truck will not shift into 4 low?

The 3 amigos could be different things. You may need to go to a dealer, but I would recommend LandRoversOnly.com, forum. Look for PTScram, and he is very helpful (along with many others there). Tell PT that I sent you.

Hope this helps.

-Gary
    "I can't believe I'm sitting here, completely surrounded by no beer!" -Onslow

kool thanks for the info...im in hawaii but we do have a land rover tech here on the island hes like 2 hr drive away thoe im just alittle wored about the vibration now that i ben doing some research i was thinking it was just alighment being off...and the amigos problem has been there for awile

If you have ANY vibe in the drivetrain then I would highly recommend you pull the front shaft and have a good look at it, if it lets go it can cause a lot more damage to the gearbox.

With ref to your 3 amigos, there is plenty of info out there and several fixes that may or may not work, different cars respond in different ways to the various fixes.

There is 1 fix that will sort it for good, and thats option B on the link below.

http://www.landroverclubvi.com/abs-mod.html

As far as shifting to 4 LOW (note Always 4wd just Hi or Low Box), with the vehicle moving at less than 5mph, shift to neutral on the gearbox then apply a "firm" pressure and pull the transfer lever into Low, its should go easily, once in shift back to D and away you go.