Thread: S1 Master Cylinder rebuild question?

Default S1 Master Cylinder rebuild question?

So I got the end of the series 1 master cylinder this morning. Thankfully a 1-1/4" socket got the end off as I did not have a 11/16W. I was happy (and surprised) to find out that the bore and piston look to be in good condition.

The rubber boot evidently rotted off years ago so the rod is pretty pitted once I dissolved the rust. The ball and cup are in good shape though. Does anyone have a spare rod laying around you would part with?

There looks to be a snap ring/retaining ring at the end of the casting where the rod goes in. In the manual, it just looks like a washer that stops the ball end of the rod from falling out? It will probably break if I try to remove it. Is it a standard size? I am thinking of just leaving it alone...... thoughts.

I found a pic of a rebuild kit. What is the part on the left? I do not see one of those anywhere on mine. Is it a clamp for the boot?

Thanks,
    Kevin

Kevin,
    I 'm restoring a series I as well . Have a peek on my site.
    The master cylinder I was dealing with looked to be as bad.
    I decided on a CB master cylinder (new) the works without the fear of a failure with the rebuild kits.
    www.singingcamel.com