Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: No 3rd or 4th gear.....help!!! IT LIVES!!!

Quote Originally Posted by knac1234 View Post
    Referring to PIC 1-Notice the bolt that is unscrewed but not removed (hits the bolt head of one of the bolts on the smaller cover).....does it need to come out too?

You're all set Julian. That one is for the reverse stop, and doesn't need to be undone. The cover is on dowl pins, and because there is also a vertical joint, it may be difficult to break loose. Just tap with a small ball peen hammer, upward. It will come.

Terry...thanks....will post pics at the end of the day of what I find!

On another note, I was catching up on some reading on this BBS and came across your barn thread. I am SO sorry. I cannot imagine how you feel about the damage to those unique vehicles. I suppose the only thing that is positive is that you or your family was not physically standing in there when it collapsed.

Cheers,
    Julian

Thanks Julian. I fell as badly for the guy who owned the barn as I do for loosing the cars. Just goes to show how bad this winter has been in this area. The Mini and Landy Rover are repairable, but the TD is a bit too badly damaged.

Default PROGRESS!!!

Hello all,

Before letting you know about my progress, a question again!

The gear selector rods.....should I put grease into the "cups" where the ball at the end of the shift lever sits???? I cleaned them all up and oiled the inner forks, but those cups were nasty, and now are clean, and am thinking grease is needed?

So, here was my Sunday:

After taking some pics, looking at the mechanism, and taking a deep breath, I removed the gear selector forks from the tranny (some have called it a Chinese puzzle....hence my worry!).

I could then easily see the 3rd/4th synchro, and rotated it.....clip 1 OK, clip 2 OK, clip 3.....just a piece of metal that I quickly removed. Clearly it was jamming the mechanism as I could then select 3rd and 4th with my finger no problem

Ran into town and bought the recommended long 90 deg angled pliers and set off to replace the clip. Two hours later, after mangling two clips (and my fingers and knuckles), miraculously---and I have no idea how to describe it----I got the clip in. Clip looks properly installed, and I am still able to select 3rd and 4th gear

Drained the tranny oil to find the other half of the broken clip (which I did), and reassembled the tranny with all new detent balls, springs, and seals while I was in there.

So it APPEARS I will be successful, as the forks are back in and I can select all gears!

More to come as I need to install a new gearshift lever and of course put everything back together. To finish it off will be the proper spring and cup on the yellow knob lever that I ordered at the same time to replace the DPOs rigged spring and washer setup (and new screws and stainless nuts, bolts, and washers for the floors and seat box).

CHEERS,
    Julian

OUTSTANDING!

Nice work, Julian! Also, thanks for following up. Too often (me included) we fix it and forget to follow up, which doesn't help the next person when trouble shooting and they do a search later on

Awesome!!! I'm glad yours went well and I can't wait to get started on mine.
    1966 IIa - ex-MOD, ex-FFR, ex-24v
    1997 Discovery SE7 - I'm empty inside without her

I am pretty confident it is going to work....will post when the whole thing is back together! Either way I owe all of you a big thanks for saving me some $$ fixing it.

Series shorty--good luck with yours, but get ready for busted knuckles and some pain----have plenty of beer on hand!

Any comments on the grease in the selector cups where the gear lever ball sits??

Cheers,
    Julian

yeah, grease it up. You don't have to go nuts, just enough to coat the whole area.

Nice!

Once the top cover is installed and tightened, make sure the detent balls still move freely. I'd use copper grease (then again, I either copper grease or gasket sealer everything these days).
    © 1974 Apis Mellifera. Few rights preserved.