Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Want to buy clear series 109 title

Quote Originally Posted by Triumphdaytona2007 View Post
    im not sure i bought a 65 rover out of georgia and florida wouldnt give me a title, i argued that there state does not require titles and she said my only option would be to find the last registered owner and have them get a tag for it, then they would have to give me the registration along with a bill of sale, my rover was last registered in 1976 so there was no hope for mine, so at the moment i have 2 spare rovers without titles sitting in the yard
    Slightly different situation. The other guy has a residence in Maine, so he's in the clear to keep Maine tags....just saying

Can't you file for a lost title?...or have them recreate a title?....something doesn't sound right there....seems there is some info missing..probably on the the part of the woman providing you the info...
    knowledge without experience is just information.... Mark Twain

www.downeastcoachworks.com

Quote Originally Posted by Apis Mellifera View Post
    I'm in the same boat with two old British cars I'm putting together. The only roadblock is a registration card from Alabama. I asked this forum for help from anyone in Alabama. I guess it sounds like a scam because once I explained it, the one guy that responded bailed. Frankly, if I had a scan of an old GA or AL registration card, my problem could be sorted. Three cheers for oppressive, cumbersome, hoop-jumping bureaucracy that does nothing but keep honest men honest.

There's a business opportunity for a cooperative member in Alabama or Georgia to register these old machines... I know I have cash waiting and I don't even need a license plate - just the card.
    When I went to the Amelia Island Concours D'elegance they were handing out Robb Reports, one of which had a scheme for registering your really expensive cars in an Alaskan Trust. But you had to open the trust before registering the car. Not sure if it was for lower registry fees or for hiding the asset of the car. But a similar thing could work for Rovers. But would it be worth it?
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

My wife is an estate planning attorney, so I can speak with some authority on this issue. A trust is designed to protect the assets, and prevent them from being lost if there is a lawsuit against you, or should you rack up a significant nursing home bill, they cannot be considered an asset they can place a lien upon. They are also used to ensure they are distributed outside of probate court upon your death. There is obviously more to it than this, but this is the gist of it.

Unless you had a significant asset in classic cars, or your Rover was worth $100,000 or more, or you were preparing for a costly divorce or something, there is hardly any merit to doing this for most of us Rover owners.

A "good" protective trust is going to cost you around $2,000. Hardly worth it for a single vehicle which on average will only fetch $10,000 upon it's sale.
    Bad gas mileage gets you to some of the greatest places on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by stomper View Post
    My wife is an estate planning attorney, so I can speak with some authority on this issue. A trust is designed to protect the assets, and prevent them from being lost if there is a lawsuit against you, or should you rack up a significant nursing home bill, they cannot be considered an asset they can place a lien upon. They are also used to ensure they are distributed outside of probate court upon your death. There is obviously more to it than this, but this is the gist of it.

Unless you had a significant asset in classic cars, or your Rover was worth $100,000 or more, or you were preparing for a costly divorce or something, there is hardly any merit to doing this for most of us Rover owners.

A "good" protective trust is going to cost you around $2,000. Hardly worth it for a single vehicle which on average will only fetch $10,000 upon it's sale.
    Unless of course you set up a trust to help others! Referral only of course to keep the riff-raff out and to prevent someone from using to to deal with stolen vehicles. Not sure if that could be done but it is interesting . . .
    1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
    1965 109 SW - nearly running well
    1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
    1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew IIA View Post
    In NY anything prior to 1973 (i think) will not have a title. I registered my '63 with a bill of sale.

Yeah NY is registration only on 73 and older- it is one thing that is actually nice about NYS DMV.
    1965 SIIa 88",1975 Ex-MOD 109/Ambulance, 1989 RRC, blah, blah, blah...

Land Rover UK Forums

NH is the only New England state requiring a title for all cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post

from the FAQ on the NH DMV website:

What vehicles are required to be titled?

• Vehicles 15 years of age or newer.
    • Truck-tractors and trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 18,001 pounds or greater, regardless of age.
    • Trailers 15 years of age or newer with a GVW of 3,001 pounds or greater.
    • Antique vehicles 26 years of age or older, upon request.
    Sounds a lot like Vermont

Quote Originally Posted by Terrys View Post

That's news to me...
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Quote Originally Posted by solihull109 View Post
    Slightly different situation. The other guy has a residence in Maine, so he's in the clear to keep Maine tags....just saying

Can't you file for a lost title?...or have them recreate a title?....something doesn't sound right there....seems there is some info missing..probably on the the part of the woman providing you the info...
    the lady at the dmv said a lost title (in florida) is only if youve lost the title to a vehicle you own then they could give you another title, the rovers came from other states so they said they cant pull up info on them, when i got the rovers i just got a bill of sale for each of them i figured with how old they are i wouldnt have any problem but the dmv lady wasnt much help, however i did find an old rover with a pennsylvania title and they took that, im not sure on floridas laws i only know what they told me i went to three dmvs and they all said the same (hilliard callahan and yulee/amelia island)
    1964 Series IIa 109" Pick-Up RHD
    1965 Series IIa 88" Wagon LHD
    1968 Series IIa 109" Station Wagon LHD

Quote Originally Posted by mongoswede View Post
    from the FAQ on the NH DMV website:

What vehicles are required to be titled?

• Vehicles 15 years of age or newer.
    • Truck-tractors and trucks with a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of 18,001 pounds or greater, regardless of age.
    • Trailers 15 years of age or newer with a GVW of 3,001 pounds or greater.
    • Antique vehicles 26 years of age or older, upon request.
    Sounds a lot like Vermont
    I stand corrected, I remember reading the FAQ section about a year ago, where is did not have an exclusion. So it appears all NE states have exclusions language.
    I guess NH changed 1/1/11.
    http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/d...ms/tdmv107.pdf