X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pgeorgeson
    Low Range
    • Dec 2010

Ignition / Headlight switch wiring diagram

I am trying to put my 1966 IIa 109 back together after painting and removing the engine to replace the RMS. I did not do as good a job as I should have marking wires when I removed various wires. Can someone post or point me to a diagram of which terminals are which on the back of the headlight / ignition switch. (I am sure it is out there somewhere, but I haven't been able to find it).
    Thanks.
  • SafeAirOne
    Overdrive
    • Apr 2008

Did you try the links to the wiring diagrams on the top of all the electrical pages in the Rovers North online series catalog?

Here's a direct link to the diagram, but if you click on any of the sub-systems (windscreen wipers, Aux. bulbs, lens, charging, etc.) on the Series Electrical page, you'll see the links to the diagrams on the top of the pages that come up.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• lrdukdog
      3rd Gear
      • Nov 2006

Go here

TAW has it here. http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/ignSW.htm
      Jim Wolf

Comment

• SafeAirOne
        Overdrive
        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by lrdukdog

Interesting...The contact numbers on the wiring diagram bear no resemblance to the contact markings on the back of the switch on pre-SIII vehicles?
        --Mark

Comment

• pgeorgeson
          Low Range
          • Dec 2010

Thanks.

Comment

• lrdukdog
            3rd Gear
            • Nov 2006

????

Originally posted by SafeAirOne
            Interesting...The contact numbers on the wiring diagram bear no resemblance to the contact markings on the back of the switch on pre-SIII vehicles?
            Ok but, you knew there would be a "but" didn't you? I would have to take mine off to see (1966 SIIA) are the contacts etc. in the corrct places if so then I would say try it out and see. It is probably like most things Land-Rover ie, there is nothing standard from one to the other as far as parts go. I guess some switches had the letters and some didn't.
            Jim Wolf

Comment

• Billy5
              1st Gear
              • Aug 2010

If your switch is like my 2a then maybe I can help. There one post on the back by itself, this is the feed to the switch. The rest are "tied" meaning power is shared to two posts. So brown/blue brown on one, white with purple ( starter solenoid) etc. Use a test light once you have power to the switch turn it on. There will be one post that doesnt not have power until you turn the switch to start then off when you release it. This should be the starter solenoid post. The rest is lights.
              1969 Series 2a Bugeye

Comment

• TeriAnn
                Overdrive
                • Nov 2006

Originally posted by SafeAirOne

The connection diagram on my switch back drawing is for trucks that were positive earth from the factory and had a combination ignition headlamp switch. The diagram will not work for late SIIA or SIII.

There were no numbers on the combination ign./headlamp switch.
                -

Teriann Wakeman_________
                Flagstaff, AZ.

1960 Land Rover Dormobile, owned since 1978

My Land Rover web site

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                  Overdrive
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by TeriAnn

Ahh...so the labels on your diagram are just there to assist folks in figuring out what to plug into each terminal...Gotcha.

IIRC, the first SIII ignition switch I replaced had the terminals numbered exactly the same as the wiring schematic, but the one I replaced a few months ago had them labeled completely differently. No bearing on the OP, but I figured they might be labeled the same as on the schematic for those "old" Rovers.
                  --Mark

Comment

• pgeorgeson
                    Low Range
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by TeriAnn
                    The connection diagram on my switch back drawing is for trucks that were positive earth from the factory and had a combination ignition headlamp switch. The diagram will not work for late SIIA or SIII.

Mine is a combination headlight/ignition switch. Billy5's post is helpful to track it down, but I was hoping to find a diagram of that type of switch that shows everything (I need it a simple as possible based on my complete incompetence).

Comment

• pgeorgeson
                      Low Range
                      • Dec 2010

I am following up on this. I still haven't found a wiring diagram that has the same configuration/markings of my switch, which for clarification is a combination headlight/ignition switch on a negative earth 1966 IIa. (The diagrams for the positive earth IIa's that I can find show two different switches for the ignition and headlights, with the posts identified by number: The diagram for the positive earth IIa has some of the same letters that my switch has, but they are not all the same).

My switch has an outer ring and an inner ring. The inner ring has two posts tied together, and is marked "ign." I think I can figure that one out.

The outer ring has the follwing posts on it (they are a little hard to read, but I think these are the markings):
                      "A"
                      "S&T"
                      "PRS3"
                      "H"

As if you were talking to a 3rd-grader, please tell me what those posts are and where the wires go that are coming to and from those posts. (please understand that I realize these are dumb questions, but if I could figure it out without your help, I wouldn't be asking them).

Thanks for your help.

Comment

• pgeorgeson
                        Low Range
                        • Dec 2010

Any help here?

Comment

• LaneRover
                          Overdrive
                          • Oct 2006

S&T means Side and tail lights
                          H is headlights
                          not sure about the PRS3, is that on the outer ring or next to wear the key goes in?
                          Also not sure about A.

I can't help you much with the wiring other than the fact that the headlight current goes from the battery to the switch and all the way to the lights, same with the side and tail lights.

Sorry I am not more help
                          1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                          1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                          1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                          1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

• milhouse
                            Low Range
                            • Nov 2011

Complete guess here, but perhaps "A" is for Accessories? And then whatever wire is left over would go to "PRS3" I've been trying to think what other electrical components there are to power on a Series rover (clearly not many)... maybe the running lights? By the way, what does the front of the switch say? And what posts line up with what position on the switch?
                            ~Neil

1974 Series III 88
                            1955 Chevy 3200 truck

Comment

• LaneRover
                              Overdrive
                              • Oct 2006

Originally posted by milhouse
                              Complete guess here, but perhaps "A" is for Accessories? And then whatever wire is left over would go to "PRS3" I've been trying to think what other electrical components there are to power on a Series rover (clearly not many)... maybe the running lights? By the way, what does the front of the switch say? And what posts line up with what position on the switch?
                              Ignition/coil power supply?
                              1958 107 SW - Sold to a better home
                              1965 109 SW - nearly running well
                              1966 88 SW - running but needing attention
                              1969 109 P-UP

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=64cfe23aa2

Comment

Working...