Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mantec swing a way tire carrier on Series III?

Default Possible problem...

Just bought one and Im a little concerned. The bottom mount that bolts to the rear crossmember does not seem to be the same you guys have in your pictures. The mounting tab on mine is more horizontally oriented than those pictured which have a more vertically oriented tab extending directly below the bracket...Am I insane or does mantec make more than one style/model of this carrier??? Im taking it to the 4X4 center to be put on, just wondering if anyone experienced any problems with this already.

Cheers.

Default jeep tire carrier

perhaps the LR is revolting from having a jeep tire carrier mounted it?
    1968 battlefield ambulance/camper
    1963 Unimog Radio box
    1995 LWB RR

It would revolt a whole lot more if I just mounted the 5th wheel on the rear door and watched the door get slowly ripped off...
    No, its not a Jeep...update, actually it is for right now. I am temporarily Rover-less.

1972 SIII 109-sold

Will these work on LR with lift gates? Is the tire carrier attached to the rear door and swings out with the door, or does it swing out independent of the rear door?

Quote Originally Posted by Max(SD) View Post
    Will these work on LR with lift gates? Is the tire carrier attached to the rear door and swings out with the door, or does it swing out independent of the rear door?
    Since he brought it up, I too am looking for a swing away rear tyre mount that can be made to work with a drop down tail gate.

I assume some kind of custom latch would need to be built to connect the mount to the tail gate to allow it to swing away before dropping the tail gate.

I look at the Mantec pictures and worry that the top mount may be too close to the tail get latch.

Is there an off the shelf solution that anyone is aware of. I want to get that big tyre off my bonnet so i can see where I'm putting that front right tyre while off roading.

Default swing away with drop tail gate

Check out this 1964 88...has a swing away with a modified drop tail gate setup. Not exactly what youre looking for but close.

http://the4x4center.com/b/projects-r...s-restorations
    Last edited by Ross72SIII; 01-27-2012 at 09:57 AM. Reason: incorrect information
    No, its not a Jeep...update, actually it is for right now. I am temporarily Rover-less.

1972 SIII 109-sold

would converting the tailgate from drop-down to swing-away solve part of the issue? That may take care of the latch issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Ross72SIII View Post
    Check out this 1964 88...has a swing away with a modified drop tail gate setup. Not exactly what youre looking for but close.

http://the4x4center.com/b/projects-r...s-restorations

Thats a ST D-90 tire carrier on a series. Check d-90.com sale section they come up for sale every now and again.

Jared
    Visit The Wandering Hippo (my 109 S2A Ambulance).

Default Mantec Swing away 50 vs Mantec old style

For those still interested, I did some easy homework regarding the Mantec tire carrier. The newer tire carrier being sold is the "Swing away 50" and is a little different than the older model picture posted on this thread and on the RN website. Dont expect it to bolt right on with the bumperette holes already in the series rear crossmember, it just doesnt line up correctly. Pic on the left is the newer model on a defender, on the right is the older. Hope Im not stating the obvious here, I had no idea and bought one, and now I have a lot of work ahead of me to get it on.

1972 SIII 109-sold

I have been watching this thread as I too run a drop-down tailgate and liftgate. Looks like that new model kills it as far as keeping military bumperettes on my exMoD 109. I'm thinking it might be better to have something fab'd...
    Tom P.
    1965 exMoD 109
    1995 RRC LWB w/EAS