Thread: Starts but won't run - please help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Hi all. there is a pipe going into the gas tank held in with 2 screws. pull this pipe out there is normally a deteriorated screen over the end full of poop. i ripped all this off mine an put an in line filter prior to the fuel pump. also up the pipe there is about 4 to 6 inches of poop gumming up the tube. i have cleaned this out with long drill bits. now i make a point of doing this to every fuel tank that is going to be used. i dont replace the screen i want any poop big enough to go up the pipe to go into the filter this is alot easier to change. heads up and rover on brother.......................

Water in the tank could be causing this problem.....worth checking for. Pull your gas line off the carb and stick it in a spotless clean (as in no water droplets inside if you use a clear water bottle) Might have to have someone hold the bottle while you crank. Get a few inches of gas in the bottle. Hold the bottle at a 45 deg angle and with in 2-3 seconds you will see the water settle to the lowest point in the bottle.

Another way to spot water in the tank is to pull a spark plug, if it looks steam cleaned then it is in fact being steamed cleaned.

pb

Nice! $10 fix.
    --Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
    (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).