Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amber hazard light for back of the truck

Default Amber hazard light for back of the truck

I'm committed (for now) to making my truck my daily driver. Selling the MINI in the spirit of the vikings who burned their boats on the beaches of the places they invaded. The truck will cruise at 50mph (55 with tail wind?) but seeing a semi in the rearview mirror coming up behind at 70 is... unnerving. A friend suggested I put one of those slow moving vehicles (orange triangle ) not he back of the truck but a state trooper pointed out you are really not supposed be going faster than 25 mph with those. So I'm trying a small, flashing amber light. Attaches with a magnet and I added a couple of pieces of Velcro. Don't plan to be on the road much at night but this might help.

I just added some reflective warning tape to the back of my truck like the utility trucks use.

Regards,

David
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I think that's probably a better solution. Bet it can be seen from farther back than my little light.

I have also thought about adding a few side marker lights on the back just below the roof line wired into the running light circuit like the big trucks use. Driving around Dallas can be scary sometimes.

Regards,

David

Thing about lights like that is that you have no idea if it has fallen off until you find out after the fact. I would also check with your state trooper buddy to find out what the regs are for flashing amber lamps. If used like "emergency flashers" you aren't really supposed to be driving but I admit I see truckers using their emergency flashers when climbing steep grades so I guess it's cool as a device to alert drivers that you are moving slow. Another possibility is a bolt-on flashing LED like tow trucks or road service or highway maintenance vehicles have. This warns others that the vehicle may make sudden stops or is moving at reduced speed or whatever just look out. I would want this on a switch.
    Something ain't right if you can't get above 55 tho. Unless it's a diesel...

Quote Originally Posted by ricker View Post
    I have also thought about adding a few side marker lights on the back just below the roof line wired into the running light circuit like the big trucks use. Driving around Dallas can be scary sometimes.

Regards,

David
    I hear you about driving around Dallas. Around here, 70 is minimum speed.

What part of town are you in?

Yep. It's a diesel. And I decided not to get the overdrive (?) on the rebuilt engine. Not sure the transmission could handle it. Keeping in mind I am the newest of newbies. 99% of my driving is around town and on back roads so 50-55 is all I need. For (infrequent) road trips I just rent a car.

As for the legality of the light... I'll pay the fine. The city has me on a bank draft for parking tickets anyway.

Wait.

Didn't you install a 300Tdi? You ought to be able to FLY down the road (relatively speaking, of course).

Perhaps it's the lack of OD. You really should have one.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sailor View Post
    I hear you about driving around Dallas. Around here, 70 is minimum speed.

What part of town are you in?
    Hi Sailer,

I'm in east Dallas. How about you?

Regards,

David

I'm up north near Plano/121, but work in Addison.

Have a few Series friends in town, we should have a meet up.