Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 72 Series 3 stalling under load - SOLVED!

Quote Originally Posted by sdebruler View Post
    Problem solved!

Added an electric fuel pump inline with the mechanical pump. 3-7 psi pump / 12vdc. Thanks to Erik for the advice.
    Glad it worked for you!

You might want to rethink the fuel line routing though. If it's literally inline then there is the potential of a torn mechanical pump diaphragm in the future allowing the electric pump to pump fuel into the crankcase. Also you may find, like I did, that the mechanical pump has trouble pulling fuel through the electric one, so the power loss problem is worse unless the electric pump is switched on.

I ran my hoses in parallel, so I can run the engine on only the mechanical pump except when the electric one is needed to fill an empty carb or deal with vapor lock or high load. The plumbing is a bit more complicated, but not too bad. Just requires more hose and some tee-fittings.

Other options would be to bypass the mechanical pump so it's in place but no fuel goes in or out of it, or to remove it entirely and install a blanking plate.

Quote Originally Posted by sdebruler View Post
    Problem solved!

Added an electric fuel pump inline with the mechanical pump. 3-7 psi pump / 12vdc. Thanks to Erik for the advice.
    Can someone speak more about the TDI fuel pump fix for series awful mechanincal pumps a part number would be great, thanks, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by cedryck View Post
    Can someone speak more about the TDI fuel pump fix for series awful mechanincal pumps a part number would be great, thanks, cheers.

Cedrick - Part number at Rovers North is: PLF299. Bolts right on, just note that the connection closest to firewall is the outlet. My factory hoses still reached. I added a filter between the tank and the pump as well. I'd say my instances of vaporlock were down by half- this summer I'm going to insulate the hose going from the pump to the carb and see if that eliminates it.

https://www.roversnorth.com/ProductD...px?code=PLF299
    1976 RHD Series 3 - SOLD
    1989 Land Rover 90 LHD
    1940 Piper J3F-50 Cub