PDA

View Full Version : mainshaft nut tricks

JackIIA
08-03-2010, 07:07 PM
Looking for a trick to keep the shaft from rotating as I fix the special nut on the rear of the m.shaft feeding power into the transfer case.

I've got the RN special tool for the nut, and welded on a socket so I could use a torque wrench and bring it up to the suggests 100 ft/lb, so would be good to do it right.

Alternatively, I could just use the air wrench...though I'd rather not blindly wind it up.

Suggestions?? thx.

I Leak Oil
08-04-2010, 04:50 AM
Is the tranny still in the truck or on a bench?

TedW
08-04-2010, 07:53 AM
Insert your starter handle;

Brace the handle against the top of a jack stand;

When you turn the nut the handle will try to turn and the jack stand will stop it.

JackIIA
08-04-2010, 10:52 AM
I Leak Oil - it's on the chassis, all parts of the trannie together - main, tx case, frnt output, ebrake. Ted has a great idea there, unfortunately, it's just on the bare chassis, no engine (not even a front bumper for the starter handle!) ;).

I Leak Oil
08-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Well then you can either wait until the motor is installed or take an old clutch disc, put it on the input shaft, lock it down with something like vice grips through the inspection cover and tighten down the nut.

If the motor is installed I just put a wrench on the crank pulley nut, wedge it against the frame and tighten away.

JackIIA
08-06-2010, 11:42 AM
Well then you can either wait until the motor is installed or take an old clutch disc, put it on the input shaft, lock it down with something like vice grips through the inspection cover and tighten down the nut.

If the motor is installed I just put a wrench on the crank pulley nut, wedge it against the frame and tighten away.

Thank You

ybt502r
08-06-2010, 05:59 PM
I had to make up mine when everything was in the truck, fully assembled (my nut came loose with resulting problems etc.). As I had the top off the transmission by then (as well as the seats and seat box out), I used a long piece of wood into the gears to hold the main shaft from spinning. I didn't have a means to get a torque wrench on the mainshaft tool, so I just cranked it down pretty good. Holding fine, so far.

JackIIA
08-06-2010, 08:51 PM
I had to make up mine when everything was in the truck, fully assembled (my nut came loose with resulting problems etc.). As I had the top off the transmission by then (as well as the seats and seat box out), I used a long piece of wood into the gears to hold the main shaft from spinning. I didn't have a means to get a torque wrench on the mainshaft tool, so I just cranked it down pretty good. Holding fine, so far.

For what it's worth, I've since learned that you can take the top selector housing off and take the selector shafts out, then manually with a screw drivers select a gear using 3/4th synchro and also select another using 1/2nd and this should lock the box.

Maybe I'll just wait til I get the engine back in ;).