PDA

View Full Version : ft·lbf of Torque

amcordo
08-03-2010, 09:23 PM
How much does the 2.25 engine put out?

mongoswede
08-03-2010, 10:05 PM
well according to my rover restoration manual the Series III 2.25 gas engine with 8.0:1 Compression ratio and a Zenith carb produced:

70 BHP @4000 rpm and 120 lb-ft of torque at 1500 rpm.

amcordo
08-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Question for gear-heads (I'm more of an electric person than a mechanical one):

Aside from fit (including adapter plate availability, etc), torque and horsepower what else should I pay attention to when selecting an engine?

bkreutz
08-04-2010, 12:01 PM

Aside from fit (including adapter plate availability, etc), torque and horsepower what else should I pay attention to when selecting an engine?
Couple of things come to my mind. One is parts availability and the cost of the parts. The other is the support equipment required (computer controlled engine management etc)

Tim Smith
08-04-2010, 12:56 PM
Weight too. If you get something that is way heavier than the 2.25's 700 or so pounds, you might find it nose heavy.

yorker
08-04-2010, 03:42 PM
well according to my rover restoration manual the Series III 2.25 gas engine with 8.0:1 Compression ratio and a Zenith carb produced:

70 BHP @4000 rpm and 120 lb-ft of torque at 1500 rpm.

Has anyone ever put a 2.25 on a dyno? there are times when I really wonder about the published figures for the 2.25...

If looking for an engine I'd be looking for durability and long term parts availability. Considering the series transmission isn't all that great I'd be looking at swapping in an engine and transmission as a complete swap too. A modern US 5 speed and v6 or v8 would be nice.

greenmeanie
08-05-2010, 01:05 AM
Are those figures at the flywheel or at the wheels. There are considerable losses in the drivetrain on a series. IIRC back in the 70s a change was made when quoting hp. The Chevy 292 went from 175hp down to 125hp overnight. It makes comparing apples to apples quite difficult when researching older engines.

As for considerations when choosing an engine - COST.

mongoswede
08-05-2010, 08:09 AM
BHP is Brake Horse Power which implies the figures were taken at the flywheel. So in reality you can probably deduct about 20% for drive line losses.

amcordo
09-22-2010, 02:11 PM
Opinions on smaller engines in a 109?

Option 1 (i5):
210 lbs of torque at 1500 rpm
160 bhp at 4000 rpm

Option 2 (i4):
170 lbs of torque at 1500 rpm
125 bhp at 4000 rpm

solihull109
09-22-2010, 02:24 PM
What about ... dare I say, a Toyota 4cyl. swap. There is a strong aftermarket following, they produce respectable numbers and they're light....

Wander
09-22-2010, 02:36 PM
What about ... dare I say, a Toyota 4cyl. swap. There is a strong aftermarket following, they produce respectable numbers and they're light....

Don't you blastphemy in here!:nono: just kidding-the 22RE would probably be a good choice. I'm not sure on clearence but a 2F from a LC might also work and that engine is much more simple.

I'd look for something to match the use of the truck-something with good low rpm torque. Bob (on this board) has dropped some 3.9 V8's in two of his series 109's which work well. He found it worked better if the truck is RHD but the rest sounded fairly straight forward. I love to hear his 109 with that small block rumble-sounds mean.

amcordo
09-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Having an 8 cylinder in mine I know I want to downsize. It's not that it's terrible by any means - just way more power than I need and I would much rather a modern engine sans-distributor cap. I like the looks of two more modern inline chevy engines just because they're extemely good fit in terms of size (no need to change crossmembers/battery location). Both of them have transmissions that are readily adapted to the series transfer case (an MA-5 manual which is basically an AX-15 with a mainshaft that I'll have to change or a 4l60e). Plus they have a ton of parts laying around everywhere in the midwest. Conversely, I'm concerned about the power output of both; the i4 in particular I'd probably be running hard to stay at 65mph.

rejeep
09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
i think you also need to look at piston speed to see if its right for the gearing...

A jeep 2.5 w/tbi or MPI would be a sweet swap..

TeriAnn
09-22-2010, 06:17 PM

Well for one a Series gearbox is good for about 120 HP & 160 lbft torque. Figure a 200tdi just about maxes the box out. Anymore and you should be egg shell soft on the accelerator pedal and consider wing nuts for securing the gearbox for quick replacement in the field with the spare gearbox you should be carrying.

On the other hand, the Series transfercase is one of the strongest available.

If you are looking for something with more power than a 200/300tdi I stronly suggest an engine/gearbox replacement going to the Series transfercase and at least 24 spline rear axles with an uprated diff (such as Trutrac or ARB)

I have a brand spanky new web page: Off the shelf transfercase adapters (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/advance_Adapter.htm)

amcordo
09-23-2010, 06:58 AM
TeriAnn - you rock. Nice, helpful new page!

Well for one a Series gearbox is good for about 120 HP & 160 lbft torque. Figure a 200tdi just about maxes the box out. Anymore and you should be egg shell soft on the accelerator pedal and consider wing nuts for securing the gearbox for quick replacement in the field with the spare gearbox you should be carrying.

On the other hand, the Series transfercase is one of the strongest available.

If you are looking for something with more power than a 200/300tdi I stronly suggest an engine/gearbox replacement going to the Series transfercase and at least 24 spline rear axles with an uprated diff (such as Trutrac or ARB)

I have a brand spanky new web page: Off the shelf transfercase adapters (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/advance_Adapter.htm)