PDA

View Full Version : frame / paint

adventuris1
08-04-2010, 04:03 PM
hi u just starting a restore on 63 11a putting new frame , do we leave bare galvized or paint and what should the rest of undercarrige and suspension be painted

mongoswede
08-04-2010, 04:05 PM
hi u just starting a restore on 63 11a putting new frame , do we leave bare galvized or paint and what should the rest of undercarrige and suspension be painted

I would just leave the galvanized bare unless you really want it to be another color. The straight galvanized surface should outlast your lifetime.

BGGB
08-04-2010, 04:44 PM
if i had a new galv frame i would just leave it bare...not because im lazy but i like the look. also when other rovers owners see it they will be jealous

gudjeon
08-04-2010, 05:14 PM
He's right. I'm jealous.:rolleyes:

jac04
08-04-2010, 05:39 PM
On a "correct" restoration the chassis should be painted semi-gloss black. Most other chassis components (axle housings, springs, shicks, brake backing plates, etc)were also painted semi-gloss black.

I painted the galvanized chassis when I did an original type restoration on a 1963 88" and it looked great. However, I left the galvanized chassis bare when I did my Lightweight because I really like the look of the galvy and, let's be honest here, you want to make sure everyone knows you're rollin' on a galvanized chassis.

I Leak Oil
08-04-2010, 06:43 PM
Except when the galvy turns all white and crappy looking.....For the cost of a couple rattle cans just paint it. I know, it won't stick all that well but it'll stick good enough to make the truck look natural instead of like a landy body stuck to a cotton ball.

disco2hse
08-04-2010, 08:57 PM
Except when the galvy turns all white and crappy looking.....For the cost of a couple rattle cans just paint it. I know, it won't stick all that well but it'll stick good enough to make the truck look natural instead of like a landy body stuck to a cotton ball.

It's a Landie. If you don't like the look of blotchy galvanising then get a pimped H3 :p :D

SafeAirOne
08-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Here's a picture of my galvanized front bumper, rattle-can painted by a previous owner a decade ago.

2 months ago, I used a pressure washer to remove the rest of the black paint, as it would have taken nature another 2 years to finish the job.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2525/4155190047_6e39b53deb_z.jpg?zz=1

I Leak Oil
08-05-2010, 05:06 AM
It's a Landie. If you don't like the look of blotchy galvanising then get a pimped H3 :p :D

I just might, it's on my short list just below a DII...

jac04
08-05-2010, 07:10 AM
Except when the galvy turns all white and crappy looking......
You just don't see this unless someone has had parts re-galvanized by a 'cheap' galvanizer.

Yes, freshly applied galvanizing, if not properly passivated, can oxidize quickly (white rust) if exposed to water. That is why galvanizers who know what they are doing use a dichromate solution as a last step in the galvanizing process. This passivates the galvanizing and gives it time to form stable oxides which give the galvanizing its dull grey color.

I Leak Oil
08-05-2010, 09:38 AM
Some frames look fine, I've seen others that don't look so good after a while. I chose to paint mine, some like theirs unpainted. It's all nothing more than opinion and we all have one. No right or wrong answer.

SalemRover
08-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I recall having a conversation with someone who said that the chemicals used in Maine to de-ice roads (not salt) was eating away at the galvy coating. So there may be a technical upside to painting the galvy if you are going to do alot of winter driving in snowy areas.