X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • adventuris1
    Low Range
    • Aug 2010

frame / paint

hi u just starting a restore on 63 11a putting new frame , do we leave bare galvized or paint and what should the rest of undercarrige and suspension be painted
  • mongoswede
    5th Gear
    • May 2010

Originally posted by adventuris1
    hi u just starting a restore on 63 11a putting new frame , do we leave bare galvized or paint and what should the rest of undercarrige and suspension be painted

I would just leave the galvanized bare unless you really want it to be another color. The straight galvanized surface should outlast your lifetime.

Comment

• BGGB
      Low Range
      • Jul 2008

if i had a new galv frame i would just leave it bare...not because im lazy but i like the look. also when other rovers owners see it they will be jealous

Comment

• gudjeon
        5th Gear
        • Oct 2006

He's right. I'm jealous.

Comment

• jac04
          Overdrive
          • Feb 2007

On a "correct" restoration the chassis should be painted semi-gloss black. Most other chassis components (axle housings, springs, shicks, brake backing plates, etc)were also painted semi-gloss black.

I painted the galvanized chassis when I did an original type restoration on a 1963 88" and it looked great. However, I left the galvanized chassis bare when I did my Lightweight because I really like the look of the galvy and, let's be honest here, you want to make sure everyone knows you're rollin' on a galvanized chassis.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
            Overdrive
            • Nov 2006

Except when the galvy turns all white and crappy looking.....For the cost of a couple rattle cans just paint it. I know, it won't stick all that well but it'll stick good enough to make the truck look natural instead of like a landy body stuck to a cotton ball.
            Jason
            "Clubs are for Chumps" Club president

Comment

• disco2hse
              4th Gear
              • Jul 2010

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
              Except when the galvy turns all white and crappy looking.....For the cost of a couple rattle cans just paint it. I know, it won't stick all that well but it'll stick good enough to make the truck look natural instead of like a landy body stuck to a cotton ball.
              It's a Landie. If you don't like the look of blotchy galvanising then get a pimped H3
              Alan

109 Stage 1 V8 ex-army FFR
              2005 Disco 2 HSE

http://www.youtube.com/user/alalit

Comment

• SafeAirOne
                Overdrive
                • Apr 2008

Here's a picture of my galvanized front bumper, rattle-can painted by a previous owner a decade ago.

2 months ago, I used a pressure washer to remove the rest of the black paint, as it would have taken nature another 2 years to finish the job.

--Mark

1973 SIII 109 RHD 2.5NA Diesel

0-54mph in just under 11.5 minutes
                (9.7 minutes now that she's a 3-door).

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                  Overdrive
                  • Nov 2006

Originally posted by disco2hse
                  It's a Landie. If you don't like the look of blotchy galvanising then get a pimped H3
                  I just might, it's on my short list just below a DII...
                  Jason

Comment

• jac04
                    Overdrive
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by I Leak Oil
                    Except when the galvy turns all white and crappy looking......
                    You just don't see this unless someone has had parts re-galvanized by a 'cheap' galvanizer.

Yes, freshly applied galvanizing, if not properly passivated, can oxidize quickly (white rust) if exposed to water. That is why galvanizers who know what they are doing use a dichromate solution as a last step in the galvanizing process. This passivates the galvanizing and gives it time to form stable oxides which give the galvanizing its dull grey color.

Comment

• I Leak Oil
                      Overdrive
                      • Nov 2006

Some frames look fine, I've seen others that don't look so good after a while. I chose to paint mine, some like theirs unpainted. It's all nothing more than opinion and we all have one. No right or wrong answer.
                      Jason

Comment

• SalemRover
                        3rd Gear
                        • Aug 2007

I recall having a conversation with someone who said that the chemicals used in Maine to de-ice roads (not salt) was eating away at the galvy coating. So there may be a technical upside to painting the galvy if you are going to do alot of winter driving in snowy areas.

Comment

Working...