PDA

View Full Version : Disco or Range Rover axles on a 110?

mongoswede
08-07-2010, 02:29 PM
Will Disco Axles or Range Rover axles work ok on a 110 chassis? I am looking at a 110 chassis and I have no defender axles but plenty of others.

I Leak Oil
08-08-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes they will fit just fine. I'd go with the later RRC axles as they have the vented discs up front and are 24 spline. Disco I axles would work also but they don't have vented discs, they can be converted though. If you plan on loading up your 110 you should probably look for a salisbury rear. Beefing them up is a good idea in general.

yorker
08-09-2010, 05:51 PM
If you HAD to they'd work but 110s came with a Salisbury rear end and Range Rovers and Discos only used Rover rear axles.

FJ80 axles should be able to be made to work and would be better if you can fab.

solihull109
08-09-2010, 06:46 PM
They will work just fine, agreed I'd go with later model units.

I'm not sure why everyone is so crazy over the Sal. rear. Upgrade a RRC/D1 rear axle with heavy duty shafts and you're good to go, plus you're not giving up as much ground clearance.

Unless you're going big, with tires and horsepower( which destroy other things as well), the RRC/D1 rear axle is fine.

yorker
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
If you are going to go to all the trouble for a 109/110 hybrid you might as well go with a Sals The stock 2 pin Rover diff really is nothing great sooner or later by the time you get done with all the upgrades to the Rover axle you might as well start with the Sals or something else stronger to begin with.

solihull109
08-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I see what you're getting at, however he said he already had those parts handy and they will work.
If he keeps breaking axles or a diff(highly doubt) it's a quick swap down the road.:thumb-up:

In reality, most folks do not wheel their trucks that hard, especially a 110.

mongoswede
08-09-2010, 10:08 PM
I think I will stick with the disco 24 spline axles for now and if I start having issues I will consider something else as needed. There seem to be a million opinions on rover axles. I know the series axles are not all that strong but the later ones seem better. I have a friend with a highly modded 88" coil sprung via a designa chassis with a TDI motor, Rover axles (not sure if they are defender or disco...I should have looked to see if the rear was a salisbury) but he was running 35's on it and loved the rover axles. So for now I think I'll be fine with the disco units.

Now I just need to figure out how to get the chassis home. Anyone got a spare 109 roof and sides? (2 door not SW).

solihull109
08-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Yup, you're fine with what you have. I'm sure KB wheels his coiler hard enough to be a good indicator.:thumb-up:

mongoswede
08-10-2010, 09:08 AM
Ok...so I found a roof that I am going to look at, I have found the chassis, a 109 tub, I have rear windos and I can make sides. I have two repairable bulkheads and one good one and know of a 3rd that may still be available. I have a series IIA breakfast but I think I am just going to get one waterjetted from either Aluminium or Stainless. I have spare fenders. I have an LT77 that I need to rebuild and I have an LT230 for a manual transmission but it needs a new input gear. I have an 88 range rover with a decent fuel injected 3.5 but its hooked up to an automatic so I'd need to reconfigure the flywheel/clutch arrangment. Wiring harness will be a Painless or EZ....FI will be stock or megasquirt or similar. Any suggestions?

mongoswede
08-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Yup, you're fine with what you have. I'm sure KB wheels his coiler hard enough to be a good indicator.:thumb-up:

Who is KB? The guy I was thinking of is Chris Comar.

solihull109
08-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Komar... there's a name I haven't heard in a while. Tell him he left a box full of Saab turbos at the old shop.:)

Les Parker
08-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Note that the early 110's had narrower front radius arms than the NAS Discovery, so you'll need those as well.

2p

yorker
08-13-2010, 04:37 PM
KB is Kevin Buckley unless I am mistaken.

You'd probably get by with the dosco axles particularly if you aren't really heavily laden and using a 2wd t-case. If I were building a hybrid from scratch I'd keep looking elsewhere. Land Rover made compromises in making these trucks that you don't have to.

mongoswede
08-16-2010, 03:24 PM
Note that the early 110's had narrower front radius arms than the NAS Discovery, so you'll need those as well.

2p

Narrower meaning the width of the arm was narrower or the distance on on the chassis was narrower?

spacemutt
09-05-2010, 08:13 AM
The width of the arm varies, not the length.

Not sure if it's been mentioned, but 110s have larger diameter rear springs, so some bodgery will be needed there.

Also, later Range Rovers/Discos tend to have dual circuit brakes on the front, where 110s had single line brakes.

Also, as has been mentioned, the axles aren't as strong so don't load it up.

Maryland 110
09-09-2010, 07:15 PM
You only want early 110 narrow radius arms if you are using an early 110 front axle with the corresponding narrow bracket on the axle tube. Otherwise all other axles use the wider style and thats what you want. I usually just leave the radius arms bolted to the axles when I swap them.

mongoswede
12-13-2010, 01:30 PM
A little update: I have not pickued up the 110 chassis only because the distance involved ruins a lot of the financial benefit of its cost. Right now I am considering just getting a 109 Galvanized chassis as they are ready to go and all the parts from my 109 will swap over. The exception being that I would switch to FJ60 axles.

yorker
12-14-2010, 11:56 AM
If you end up not using the 110 chassis you have located would you mind passing on the info on it? I am sure there are people here who could use it. Heck even I would consider it.