PDA

View Full Version : Looking for information on unusual indicator.

Daktari
08-08-2010, 10:01 PM
I have only seen this once before on a truck just like mine that Orvis was selling in a Christmas catalog last year. Instead of the regular Series parking light and turn indicator lamp, my '65 SIIA has the indicator in a raised housing on top of the fender wing. In place of the normal lamps are round blanks riveted to the body. There are also these strange little running lights that do not currently function. Anyone have any information on this treatment?

My guess is that the front-mounted lamps were removed to allow for jerry cans to be placed on the bumper without the lamps in the way.

Also, my truck has two red lamps at the rear instead of one red and one amber. Again, does anyone know if this is a standard alternate setup, or did someone screw up earlier?

Thanks.

lrdukdog
08-08-2010, 10:18 PM
Well ma fren you has the verry rare Bullfrog front light fixtures. Tha' was invented for Mr. Marlin Perkins esq. They was invented so's he could put them German "jerry" cans on tha fron bumper an still have tha lights seen by the elephants and such. They is quite rare.;)
Jim Wolf

SafeAirOne
08-08-2010, 11:01 PM
Didn't the Dormobiles or Carawagons come with those front lights for just the reason stated?

Lemmie check TeriAnns site...

Ok...I thought they might be Dormobile-specific, but Jim is right--They're not. They were apparently an option from Land Rover, according to TerriAnn's Dormobile pages (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Dormobile/exterior.html) (about halfway down).

gudjeon
08-09-2010, 12:39 AM
All red lamps on rear is normal. Amber signals is actually a recent phenomena in auto lighting. Many old domestic autos had all red at back.:thumb-up:

Daktari
08-09-2010, 07:51 PM
Great information. Thanks. It's good to confirm that the turn signal lamp housing on top of the wing is indeed to permit Jerry can mounting. I am especially delighted (pun intended) to realize that the little bullet-shaped lights are authentic Lucas LS516 parking lamps and not some misguided add-on.

I'm also thankful to know that double red rear lamps are standard as well.

Thank you!

disco2hse
08-09-2010, 07:57 PM
All red lamps on rear is normal. Amber signals is actually a recent phenomena in auto lighting. Many old domestic autos had all red at back.:thumb-up:

Not in England, where they come from.

gudjeon
08-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Eeerm indeed. I was thinking he was talking based on it being made for the North American market. Silly assumption on my part:thumb-up:

Daktari
08-24-2010, 07:17 PM
That's what I thought, disco2hse. But it is a LHD that may have been shipped straight to S. America from England. (Some old shipping documents that were in it indicate parts headed for Honduras.) Think that would make a difference? Is it plausible that Land Rover would have put two red lamps on a truck that was bound for the Americas?

disco2hse
08-24-2010, 07:29 PM
To be honest I have no idea without the VIN. It is not normal for anything to be different from standard unless it is was a special order. Anything sold to S America may or may not be NAS. There were many LHD vehicles sold throughout Europe too and these use the standard light fittings (not all LHDs were destined for the Americas).

lrdukdog
09-03-2010, 10:27 AM
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/G_HerbZipkin.htm

Jim Wolf

J!m
09-03-2010, 10:47 AM
I met Herb many years ago as well. A very interesting fellow with some unique perspectives on overland travel...

In any event, I was wondering what happened to the two film he made? Where can these be found?

We all focus on the truck, but what of the work produced by the truck (and Herb of course)?:confused:

Terri-Ann, do you know?

Very interested...

yorker
09-03-2010, 11:33 AM
Not in England, where they come from.

IIRC it was NAS standard here- red over red, at least untlil the late 1960's. :thumb-up: In any case it isn't wrong IMHO for a NAS truck of that vintage.

gudjeon
09-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Just what I was trying to say. Although, I may come across not too clearly as I tend to ramble now days.:rolleyes:

lrdukdog
09-03-2010, 12:58 PM
So, far this is all I've found.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Herbert%20Zipkin%20LR.pdf

Jim Wolf

J!m
09-03-2010, 02:24 PM
I have a copy I received from Herb himself.:thumb-up:

Fun to read!

crankin
09-03-2010, 02:41 PM
So, far this is all I've found.
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/Herbert%20Zipkin%20LR.pdf

Jim Wolf

I am now going to fab up a machete holder....

disco2hse
09-03-2010, 04:10 PM
IIRC it was NAS standard here- red over red, at least untlil the late 1960's. :thumb-up: In any case it isn't wrong IMHO for a NAS truck of that vintage.

Ahh. Good. Thanks. I have little idea of what was standard on NAS vehicles since we see so few of them around here. Most of ours are direct from UK as CKD or come from Australia and sometimes South Africa.

disco2hse
09-03-2010, 04:12 PM
http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/G_HerbZipkin.htm

Jim Wolf

Now that is so :cool:

Shame you would not be able to do that now without having very large security screens and so on. Certainly got me looking out the window and thinking, hmmm :thumb-up:

Daktari
09-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the information and for introducing me to Herb Zipkin and his amazing rig. I'm inspired!