PDA

View Full Version : Drive shaft nuts frozen...how to get free?

ybt502r
08-08-2010, 10:15 PM
I've lost the grease seal on my front drive shaft (the screw cap that allows the drive shaft to slide in and out is gone), so the splines are now exposed to the elements. I've bought a rubber boot to cover both ends (and thus make a seal, in another fashion) of the drive shaft splines. All that this takes in order to put on is to take the drive shaft off/apart, slide the boot over the splines, and clamp the ends down with hose clamps. A simple one hour task.

I've been unable to get the drive shaft off from the front diff for, oh, going on two months. I've sprayed the bolts/nuts, tried an impact wrench, cheater bars, beating them, etc. The bolts/nuts are frozen in place, and I've near rounded them off at this point. Save cutting them off (which I think is the next step), has anyone found a sure-fire solution? I've no idea how long these bolts have been made up in their current position. Since the Cold War perhaps.

BGGB
08-08-2010, 10:40 PM
if you have tried all the above for 2 months then i say its time to get some heat on them, torch them up till there good and hot and wrench them off, mind the heat on teh diff seals though (soaking cloth around the area to protect) this usually works but i only ever use it as if all else fails...and remember the hots spots burnt flesh is one of the worst smells:eek:

gudjeon
08-09-2010, 12:42 AM
I have resorted to cutting off these before. Access to an air powered die grinder with a small cut off wheel will make this task more tolerable.:thumb-up: