PDA

View Full Version : Alpine window help?

John O from Jersey
08-09-2010, 08:59 AM
Hi folks - I'm going to try and install a set of alpine windows in my '88. I have the windows and the gaskets/locking strips but need to cut the holes. Does anybody have a roof with the alpine windows OUT that can give me some measurements?? I think I would need the following:

Distance from drip channel to bottom edge of hole

Distance from back of roof to back of hole

Total length of hole (apex to apex)

Vertical width of hole measured along the arc (I guess measured by extending the top and bottom edges with a ruler to clear the front curve then measuring the distance between those lines along the outer curvature of the roof).

This is the only way I can think of accurately transposing the hole onto my roof. Any other ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,

John O

Mercedesrover
08-09-2010, 10:46 AM
Place the window without the gasket on the roof in the area you want to put it. The radius of the glass will show you how far up from the driprail it needs to be. Trace a line 1/4" around the glass. This is your cut-line.

John O from Jersey
08-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Thanks Jim,

I'm a little scared of going too big w/ the hole but since I wrote this, I remembered I have a spare beat up roof section I can do a trial on. I'll practice on that.

thx

John O

Mercedesrover
08-09-2010, 08:49 PM
Too small and they'll be hard to get in. Too big and they'll be loose and leak. Good to have a piece to practice with. 1/4" is a good rule but practice to get a feel for it. You'll want to find/buy/borrow the tool to install the locking strip too. Be sure to stagger the seam in the gasket and the seem in the locking strip.

Bertha
08-10-2010, 01:55 PM
I have a template of the opening somewher in my shop. If you need it PM me and I will dig it up.

John O from Jersey
08-10-2010, 03:01 PM
PM sent - Thanks!

JO