PDA

View Full Version : what's the first step? dormant diesel

kwd509
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
I'm told that after 30 yrs sitting the pistons and rings will need special care in being freed-up. It was recommended that I put some mystery oil in each cyl through the glow plug opening. and let is sit for several days

Am tempted to do so on immediately getting to the rover, and with compression released, then trying to crank by hand (if crank is there) simply to see if it is free (of course, hoping for immediate good news). Are there other solvent/solutions I should consider instead? And how much to add?

A couple of other questions:
I'm jumping ahead but since entire fuel system will need to be cleaned out.- do I go ahead an have injectors cleaned?

Do I just go ahead and try starter at some point or is it safe to assume it will need repair/rebuild? I'm not sure it was operational when it was parked in 1978.

LAstly, on the outside chance this all goes well and the thing fires up, how can I assure that cranking engine will have the requisite oil pressure from an old oil pump to avoid damage to items that have been w/o lub for decades?

Can you tell I'm really feeling my way here?

mongoswede
08-09-2010, 03:33 PM
you can't go wrong with the marvel mystery oil. Pour a bunch in each cylinder and let it sit for a week or two...depending on how much time you have. Turning over by hand with the crank is a good thing to do as well....I advise leaving the glow plugs out so you don't have to fight any compression and if the oil hasn't seeped down it gives it an escape route for when it does turn over.

yorker
08-09-2010, 03:41 PM
Idealy you would turn it over without starting it, pull the inlectors- put a squirt of MMO or ATF in each cylinder and let it soak, then have the starter turn it over a bit. Unless it was poorly stored it probably will be fine. Keep in mind that modern diesel doesn't have anywhere near the lubricity that the diesel this engine was designed for had.

BGGB
08-09-2010, 04:14 PM
ive never had to do it personally but i've been told that atf in the top and then put it in 4 wheel drive and put it in gear and rock the whole vehicle back and forth. just my advice that i got as advice

kevkon
08-09-2010, 04:35 PM
30 yrs is a long time, but the more important point is how it was stored. If you are unsure, then the safest and most effective procedure is to drain the fluids, drop the pan, and remove the valve cover. With those removed you can instantly see the condition of the cylinders, valve train , and whether or not there was moisture problem. You can also spray some oil up into the cylinders and pour some over the valve train. With the glow plugs out, turn the engine over by hand to check everything and if all's well button it back up.
It's more work than pouring some oil in the plug holes, but you won't risk damaging the engine.

I Leak Oil
08-09-2010, 05:10 PM
Don't listen to any of those guys above, I hold the only true knowledge as to what to do with your problem. Unfortunately I can't share it with you so you'll just have to face the fact that it is hopeless and you should surrender it to me.....I'l trade you a clapped out SII petrol (yes SII not IIa) motor so you can use it to boost your spirits with. I'm just full of favors, no need to thank me.....:D

amcordo
08-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Such a good person.

Don't listen to any of those guys above, I hold the only true knowledge as to what to do with your problem. Unfortunately I can't share it with you so you'll just have to face the fact that it is hopeless and you should surrender it to me.....I'l trade you a clapped out SII petrol (yes SII not IIa) motor so you can use it to boost your spirits with. I'm just full of favors, no need to thank me.....:D

kwd509
08-09-2010, 09:29 PM
I Leak Oil,
your response may not be to most technically detailed, but it was the most heartening. Maybe there is hope.

bpj911
08-09-2010, 09:33 PM
new battery, new oil, fuel filters, change oil in air filter, drain or at least check fuel tank for water. make sure nothing looks obviously jacked up. cross fingers, turn key. I wouldn't bother with a whole bunch of fiddling. being an oil burner, it will probably be fine if it ran when it was parked and has had a hood on the whole time. if it doesn't run, it was probably f@cked up in 1978 too.

SalemRover
08-10-2010, 05:03 AM
I'l trade you a clapped out SII petrol (yes SII not IIa) motor so you can use it to boost your spirits with. I'm just full of favors, no need to thank me.....:D

Clapped out is being too kind. I get more compression with my fist in a dixie cup than you get on all 4 cylinders at this point! :eek:

luckyjoe
08-10-2010, 06:03 AM
Clapped out is being too kind. I get more compression with my fist in a dixie cup than you get on all 4 cylinders at this point! :eek:

Tiny hands?

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Tim Smith
08-10-2010, 10:18 AM
new battery, new oil, fuel filters, change oil in air filter, drain or at least check fuel tank for water. make sure nothing looks obviously jacked up. cross fingers, turn key. I wouldn't bother with a whole bunch of fiddling. being an oil burner, it will probably be fine if it ran when it was parked and has had a hood on the whole time. if it doesn't run, it was probably f@cked up in 1978 too.
This would be my approach too. Of course, we are just going to start it up to ensure it runs, right? No cross country trips until after you've really gone through the truck. ;)

I Leak Oil
08-10-2010, 01:31 PM

Touche'! But unlike someone elses, atleast mine burns most of the fuel that goes in.:)

SalemRover
08-10-2010, 02:42 PM
My engine smokes so much i was just offered a sponsorship from Philip Morris.

kwd509
08-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Being an oil burner? Does this suggest that that failing rings would mitigate even further against seizure in the ensuing decades? I can't remember the precise state of engine, though it seemed to smoke quite a bit And while it was blue the problem was always attributed to injectors......

To all who gave advice, thanks. For the most part that advice seems pretty consistent.

kwd509
08-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Yes. Agreed, just see if it runs and then formulate a larger picture/plan on how to address the whole vehicle.

kevkon
08-11-2010, 06:52 AM
Yes. Agreed, just see if it runs and then formulate a larger picture/plan on how to address the whole vehicle.

Personally, I would start with the big picture and if that includes retaining the present engine I wouldn't "see if it runs" before I knew as much as possible about the condition of it's internals and gave it as much of a chance to survive an initial start without irreparable damage as possible. On the other hand, if you are going to swap engines or rebuild the present one, go for it!

kwd509
08-11-2010, 01:37 PM
I see you posted earlier with recommendation that the valve cover and oil pan be pulled to view the internals.......Fair enough and not
that much work, but that implies that the person viewing the internals (me) can make head or tails of what there is to see.......

Since I;m in no hurry I guess I can afford to do this, of course that presumes I can make use of, and understand what I find.

kevkon
08-11-2010, 04:09 PM
What's probably more important is what you don't find after 30 yrs !
Clean out the pan, look up into the cylinders to see if they are clean and without rust. Check that the oil pump screen is clear and not blocked with congealed oil and wax.
When you take off the rocker cover look to see that everything is still coated with oil. Lubricate as much as you can with the covers off, then turn over the engine manually to see if it is free and check that all of the valves are opening and closing. If all is good, button it up, change the filter and top off with oil. Then go for the starting routine.

Les Parker
08-11-2010, 04:38 PM
Good to see you today, thanks for calling in.
Keep us updated to any news and hope the trip to TN and back is uneventful.
Take lots of pic.s, please
Great photo of you on the LHF wing !!

All the best

bpj911
08-11-2010, 06:29 PM
When I say oil burner, I mean diesel. Tend to not stick like a gasser. It may also burn it's own engine oil but I meant diesel.

kwd509
08-11-2010, 11:06 PM
to BPJ911, Les and Kevkon (and others), thanks for the generous advice and help. All that's left to do is get the truck. Should have an update soon after labor day.