PDA

View Full Version : Temp Sender?

albersj51
08-10-2010, 02:40 PM
I was looking for the location near the thermostat where a water temp sender/sensor would go. I see this, but the wire colors (according to the Green Bible) indicate the wire is for the rear lights. Now, this doesnt make sense...why would the rear lights go to the engine near the T-Stat. My truck doesnt have a water temp gauge (it may have at one point), so looking at the pics below, is this where the water temp sender/sensor should go and does it look like there is already one in there (since there is a wire going to something)? One of the pics is a close up, in the other the area in question is on the left side with the wire going into it.

As always, thank you for any help you can provide.

J

crankin
08-10-2010, 02:58 PM
You are correct. The wire should go through the bulkhead and go into the guage cluster. You can but a voltage meter on it and find the other end.

albersj51
08-10-2010, 03:04 PM
Thanks, Clint! My cluster only has Fuel, Amps (unpluggged since I have a 78 amp alternator in) and a high beam light. I should be able to pick up and aftermarket temp gauge and wire it in, right?

jac04
08-10-2010, 03:24 PM
The thing in the picture held in place with the 3 bolts is a cold start warning light temperature switch. It causes the cold start warning light to illuminate when the choke is on and the engine reaches a certain temperature.

The sending unit for a temperature gauge is normally installed on the right hand front corner of the head:

albersj51
08-10-2010, 03:32 PM
Thanks, Jac! I'll call up RN and see if they have the sender so I can check the old girls temp (it's better than a rectal thermometer!). Can I use a stock sender and hook it up to an aftermarket gauge? Don't see why not, but want to make sure. Thanks again!

crankin
08-10-2010, 04:01 PM
Crap! You are right. Sorry about that.

Any electric temperature gauge will work (not mechanical). You can pick them up almost anywhere. If you would like to stay original check with our host or other land rover part vendors.

The first thing I would do is to hook up a voltmeter and test the wire from one end to the other. If you are get 12v the wire is fine. The next thing is to make sure the gauge itself is grounded properly. You should be able to hook the wire from the sender to the gauge and get a reading. If you do not get a reading...you sender might be bad.

albersj51
08-10-2010, 04:55 PM
Thanks Clint. RN gauge is $250 so original is not THAT important to me. I'll see if they have a sender and pick up an aftermarket gauge. Since it's the cold start light sender it does work because when I pull the choke on a hot day the light comes on. Thanks again guys!

yank
08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
Is there a way to test the sender?

crankin
08-10-2010, 09:03 PM
You can pull it and throw into a pot of boilng water. Test the water with your old lady's cooking thermometer and see if the same temp is showing on your gauge. So, you would have sender + wiring (make one up....remember to ground) + gauge

Or....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kj4kfW9gR3k