PDA

View Full Version : Blowing oil

Mudtub
08-12-2010, 08:08 AM
She is full of oil, not pressure gauge installed at this time. it is also making some gurgling, thought it was the valve train? checked that it looks fine. while running pull the oil cap and she is spitting oil, thinking that the oil pump may be the problem. Just fishing to see if someone might of had the same problem? Thanks. It a 1966 109 Dutch EX MOD LHD.

Tim Smith
08-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Oh dear. Check your compression. Maybe a bad head gasket or rings are causing blow by.

Mudtub
08-13-2010, 09:07 AM
Checked the compression a few week ago. the fourth was a little lower then the other three. At that time just the noise, no oil blowing. So you think the oil could be the head gasket, Do you think the noise could be a bad or noisy oil pump. I will do a compression test and drop the pan. Thanks Bill

Les Parker
08-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Why do you think the oil pump?
The most likely causes are a worn/stuck set of rings or blowing head gasket.

Tim Smith
08-13-2010, 12:23 PM
If it's a stuck set of rings, you might get very lucky with the Marvel Mystery Oil trick. I did this and did get lucky.

Basically add about a quart of MMO in the crank case for 500 miles. You should be able to tell if it's working by getting some compression back and of course your gurgling should be cut down too.

The MMO acts as a cleaner against the carbon deposits that can make your rings stick. If you are lucky then at least this will buy you some time.

Mudtub
08-13-2010, 01:41 PM
we will give it a try. The truck has been on the road and used weekly. The truck is a buddy's. when he got it about a year ago there was a little noise. I thought it was valve noise, checked and adjusted, all ok. I have a hard time thinking it the rings as it seems to be running fine. i thought it could of been a noisy oil pump, or a timing chain. We have never had the pan off so, that's good to check anyway, and recheck the compression too. Do you think that the MMO will stay in the motor for 500 mi. isn't that stuff very thin? Ha Ha. Thank again the only way to find out is to rip into it.

Tim Smith
08-13-2010, 01:49 PM
Piston slap could make a little noise too and that would fit in with the stuck ring theory. I guess I'm being hopeful for ya. Good luck.

Mudtub
08-15-2010, 08:30 AM
the frist three 120 psi the fourth 110. What should they be

I Leak Oil
08-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Do a leak down test.

Mudtub
08-17-2010, 01:14 PM
What is the best way, it seem that i should pressurize each cylinder when they are at TDC. Thanks