PDA

View Full Version : Installing a Petronix

usadventureracing
08-12-2010, 09:04 PM
Ok, I am trying to install a petronix everything is hooked up but I cannot get the magnet on. Does anyone have any advice tried for 2 hours. I bought the LU-143 and have a 45D. Thanks

jac04
08-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Do you have a 'real' Lucas 45D or the aftermarket replacement? I've heard that the Pertronix doesn't work with the aftermarket 45D replacement distributor.

Also make sure that you have the correct Pertronix unit. The LU-143 is for the Lucas 45D with RED points. Their catalog shows the LU-144 for the 45D to replace the BLUE points. I remember the magnet wheel having some casting 'flash' around the bottom that I had to knock off with a small file, but it fit fine otherwise.

Also, check ou the following site - especially Note 1 under the Lucas Pertronix listing:
http://www.vintageperformance.com/retrorockets/lucas.htm

bmohan55
08-13-2010, 08:25 AM
"I've heard that the Pertronix doesn't work with the aftermarket 45D replacement distributor."

I've not heard that & hope you are wrong, I have an aftermarket 45D and plan on going Pertronix after my rebuild is complete.

Has anyone here installed a Pertronix on a "knock-off" 45D?

jac04
08-13-2010, 08:45 AM
^^Contact BGGB and ask him what the issue was.

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showpost.php?p=55823&postcount=589

usadventureracing
08-13-2010, 08:50 AM
Thanks for the info. I am not sure if it is the aftermarket 45D. I called the location I purchased it from and they told me to call Pertronix directly. We will see. Yes I have the correct part number.......I had red points. I will update when I find out any more info.

usadventureracing
08-13-2010, 09:10 PM
OK, here is an update.....everything is installed and working great. In order to install the magnet I had to file the inside. I just filed a small amount away at a time and finally get it to seat. Runs and starts like a champ. Hopefully it will stay this way for a long time.

usadventureracing
08-21-2010, 11:39 AM
I install the pertronix last weekend but now I am over heating. Could this be the cause or is it more likely a water pump issue. Thanks

jac04
08-21-2010, 03:09 PM
Improper timing can cause you to run hot, so it may be related to your Pertronix install.

I Leak Oil
08-21-2010, 05:12 PM
Yes, did you time it after you installed the pertronix? I think the instructions (atleast mine did a few years ago) stated to retime the vehicle after installing it. Or it could just be a coincidence and be a bad waterpump, thermostat or radiator.
How's that for a positive answer!

usadventureracing
08-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Thanks for the info. I did set the timing and I am going to check it again. If that does not work I am going to change the thermastat then the waterpump. Thanks

Dibsen
02-28-2015, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the info. I did set the timing and I am going to check it again. If that does not work I am going to change the thermastat then the waterpump. Thanks

I'm looking at running a Petronix electronic ignition after I finish freshening up the motor. I was wondering if the Petronix would run a little hotter and if it required (or ran better) with a different spark plug.

I might run a Rochester carb too; undetermined at this time.

I know that restoring a series isn't a budget friendly job but the cost of the Petronix seems a bit high considering the parts involved. I think I read about the Brits building their own electronic ignitions out of parts form "radio shack" type stores. I mean, Land Rovers where designed and built in a barn after all...

stomper
02-28-2015, 12:32 PM
Check hotspark for prices. The quality seems fine, and the price is much better. Especially if you have a dizzy in good condition, and you are just putting the parts into your existing dizzy.

nicodepriest
12-17-2017, 09:32 PM
I'm going to give the Pertronix a try on my 1974 SIII. Please stand by for questions :). My distributor has been killing me lately!

80sailor
12-18-2017, 09:36 AM
I'm going to give the Pertronix a try on my 1974 SIII. Please stand by for questions :). My distributor has been killing me lately!

Do it Nicolas. You won't regret it.

TedW
01-02-2018, 11:03 AM
I love my Pertronix, but suggest that you avoid their Flamethrower coil. Mine failed after a year or so, and I discovered that this was a recurring problem with them.

felmlym1
03-05-2022, 11:40 AM
I installed a petronix distributor and flamethrower. started loosing power then completely stopped??? Coil reads 3.0 on low-end then 8270 on high side??? Is my coil bad. the coil that is had with the breaker points never worked with the petronix??? Think distributor is bad???

vlad_d
03-07-2022, 03:16 AM
Just did this to my Series 3 as well. Got the same Distributer and coil.

* In the instructions, it says that you should remove the ballast resistor, if your wiring has one. Might check that. It says they don't work with those. Mine didn't have a ballast resistor, but you might check your wiring. It looks like a ceramic block.

* There's instructions about your resistance minimums. If the new coil is out of spec, return it.

* Timing: I watched a bunch of videos with old timers talking about finding the right timing. All bad and too complicated. I found a better way. Rotate engine until it's at TDC. You can find this by the timing mark. Your dist cap only goes on one way. Take a sharpie and draw a line down from #1 plug on the distributer cap, down to the distributer body. Use a carpenter's square to be square. This is so you can see where #1 is on the body with the cap removed. Now, remove the cap and spike your distributer. The rotor should point at your mark(firing #1 plug). If it's a little off, loosen the adjustment/hold-down bolt and move it to point at your sharpie line. Tighten the adjustment. Put cap and plug wires on. It should be perfectly timed at TDC(the Green Bible setting).

Many people on this and other forums said their 2.25L run better at -3 or -6 BTDC. Mine ran nicer at -3 BTDC. But it should start and run well by spiking it mechanically at TDC like I said above.

You can use a timing light, or a derivation of the method above...with your sharpie "firing position" and your timing marks to mechanically set timing perfectly. An engine crank tool helps.

vlad_d
03-07-2022, 03:24 AM
I installed a petronix distributor and flamethrower. started loosing power then completely stopped??? Coil reads 3.0 on low-end then 8270 on high side??? Is my coil bad. the coil that is had with the breaker points never worked with the petronix??? Think distributor is bad???

I would check the condenser assembly in the distributer. Did you buy this new, or second hand? If second hand, they sell just the electronic condenser bits. Steamwally on YouTube has a video about it. His wires were pinched and making a bad connection in the condenser.