PDA

View Full Version : Series I 107"

BDM
08-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Hey guys,

I found what I'm told is a Series I pickup sitting at a local mechanic for sale.

I'll have to look around more under the truck but the owner claims the frame is solid. Full brake work including master cylinder as well as a complete cooling system overhaul. It runs with a charge, not sure on the electrical but the carb needs some work. I'm told it's not the original either. It needs a new gas tank and I'm assuming new lines.

The inside seats are shredded, door windows are gone, seals all the way around are shot. Costmetically it needs some help. Other than that, it looks pretty mechanically solid. He's asking $6k which is about 2x what I would comfortably pay for it.

Any thoughts on the price? Are Series II interchangable with the Series I or am I going to have a hard time finding parts?

Thanks,
Brendon

109 Pretender
08-13-2010, 11:43 AM
Most all S1 parts are unique to that series - especially engine and axles. Body panels and frame are not directly replacable w/SII parts.

That being said, many people have 'upgraded' to sII engine, trans, and axles so it can be done. You need to decide if you would want to keep it original (S1 trucks on the 107" chassis are fairly rare in USA). Updating because of parts availability will adversly affect the value for most collectors - but you could drive it and repair it much more easily.

Yeah, in this economy the asking price is too high for the conditon of this truck.

Good luck w/your decision!

Cheers!

Leslie
08-13-2010, 12:40 PM
Could be a 109" SI, depending on if it's a '56-59.

BDM
08-13-2010, 02:58 PM
So what things would have to be considered to make a good offer and how much?

meatblanket
08-13-2010, 03:39 PM
The value being almost entirely dependent upon condition, one photo isn't enough to make a judgment.

Based on description and the photo which shows a very straight body, it might be worth nearly the asking price. Windows, seats, and door seals are pretty simple things to correct. The RHD issue is not. There are LHD versions out there, so if that's what you want, keep looking.

You might think long and hard about whether you really want a SI before purchasing. Parts availability is not as good for SIs as it is for SII and later, and there are a number of differences that you may or may not like depending upon your perspective.

83lee
08-14-2010, 12:35 PM
I went by there a few months ago and talked to the shop owner...seemed like a nice enough fellow. Apparently, he did work on the truck and the owner didn't have any $$, so the truck changed ownership.

I walked out of there thinking the numbers were 3-4000, so I don't know where this $6000 came from???

I'm no expert, but, it looked to me like the bulkhead had been welded on in a non-stock fashion, and overall it just needed a lot of work to get back on the road, not even considering making it pretty. So I figured it would be worth no more than $2000 to me if I wanted it, which I don't.

Don't be a sucker. Some Rover owners are famous for thinking their stuff is worth a fortune. (You think this economy is going to get better soon??)

If I were you, I'd go over there with $2000 in 100 dollar bills, show it to him and be prepared to leave empty handed. Then go back two weeks later. Good luck.

LaneRover
08-14-2010, 04:58 PM
Since I may be making a move out of San Diego towards Jacksonville FL I will most likely be getting rid of my 1958 107 Station Wagon.

It isn't in great shape but it is solid, someone put a Buick V-6 into her, needs all the windows on the right side, and I am pretty sure that the ring in the front Diff is cracked or missing a couple teeth.

I can't send any pics as I am currently stuck in Decatur GA til mid Sept or so.

Brent

disco2hse
08-15-2010, 09:02 PM
I'd go with 83Lee here. You buy it and then strip it down and do a nut-and-bolt restoration on it. Keep all parts stock. Keep any other model parts out of it.

107's are not that common anymore so keeping a good one on the road is going to be a labour of love. The payoff will come from heads turning. Remember that all the money you pour into this thing will not return a profit, and you don't want to put too much into its purchase.

So far as the paint job is concerned, there's a lot to be said for leaving the condition as is, for the sake of charm. Personally I like the not so pristine appearance of a hard worked landie. These are machines that were not designed by car designers but engineers with no sense of aesthetic appreciation. That is especially so with the station wagons. It is what it is, not a show pony.

BDM
08-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm more or less just interested in having a driver, nothing fancy.

Good advice 83Lee and you are spot on. The owner left it with him and never came back for it. Do you live in the area?

83lee
08-16-2010, 02:18 PM
No, I used to many years ago, but now just visit a lot. The weather has got to be the finest in the world. I do miss that.

My friend told me that Rover has been there for awhile, so you should be able to buy it for a reasonable price if you take your time and break thru all that used car salesman talk. Cash speaks loudly.

BDM
08-16-2010, 04:07 PM
In speaking with him today, he got a little defensive when I asked for the PO's information for further history on the car.

Also, to the "guy in Ohio" who recently called "out of the blue" about this LR, it's pretty damn unclassy to inquire while someone else is trying to work out a deal.

leafsprung
08-16-2010, 05:40 PM
If its the guy I think it is in Ohio (series one collector) He couldnt be a nicer fellow. Probably one of the nicest guys Ive met in the rover community. I dont think you get dibs while you ask around for advice on how much to lowball the guy. ;)

83lee
08-16-2010, 07:20 PM
You'll have to blame me for those numbers, Leaf. I call 'em like I see 'em.

Didn't want the kid taken advantage of. I thought he needed a plan.

(Can you really "lowball" a used car salesman??)

BDM
08-17-2010, 12:03 AM
Ha, good point leaf! No worries though. In the end you def want to see it go to a good home. If he's a collector, it may be a good one for him.

83lee, I really appreciate all your advice. With its condition and how hard parts are for these, it may be a bigger bite than I can chew unless he were to come considerably off on the price.

I guess I'll keep plugging away and let you guys know how it goes. Whether I get it or not!

Thanks again,
Brendon

BDM
08-17-2010, 04:16 PM
Some more quick pics of the frame and bulkhead. Let me know your thoughts.

BDM
08-17-2010, 04:17 PM
rear frame and cross member

disco2hse
08-17-2010, 04:56 PM
Yup. Fair amount of work required on that one. Springs look pretty buggered, but are not hard to replace if you know a spring maker. Quite a lot of patching in there and some rust looks major but again, nothing that can't be fixed. Foot wells look OK.

More critical is possibly the condition of the engine, gearbox, etc. and the firewall. The other bits of steel can be fabricated on an as needed basis.

Looks a lot better than others I have seen from this era. Of course it all depends on your time, skill level, and budget.