PDA

View Full Version : Planning to get the dormant diesel

kwd509
08-14-2010, 07:30 PM
ON labor day, I will be in east tennessee looking at a long dormant 88 diesel. If has been sitting in one spot for aprox 22 years. I assume it was parked in 1st gear. What s the likelihood that the clutch will disengagne and I can get the truck easily into neutral to winch it onto a trailer? or by shifting the transfer case into neutral? Should I be prepared to disconnect the driveshaft to allow wheels to turn?

Perhaps I'm making this more complicated than necessary but I want to anticipate every possibility.

Thanks.

stonefox
08-14-2010, 08:15 PM
I would plan on having to drop those drive shafts . If they are good ..Bonus. If not you are prepared . I had to drop them when I brought my '71 home. Don't forget the PB Blaster and a rope to tie them up. Spray them when you get there inticipation of needing to take them apart.
Sounds exciting !!!! Nothing like a good "Rover Repo".
All so, photos you'll want them looking back when its fully restored.Besides I'm sure I'm not the only one wanting to see this process unfold .
Good Luck Sean

LaneRover
08-14-2010, 08:37 PM
Even if the clutch won't disengage you should be able to get it out of 1rst.

If the tires are dragging then while applying tension to the line give the wheel a rap with a hammer to break stuff free. Not so hard that you are really hitting it hard. start with a little rap and if you do have to hit it hard get a soft face hammer.

kwd509
08-15-2010, 07:13 AM
[QUOTE=LaneRover;56400]Even if the clutch won't disengage you should be able to get it out of 1rst.

Is Lanerover's more optimistic response consistent with stone fox's or at odd with it? That is " I should be able to get it into neutral w/o clutch" and should not really need a contingency plan or, hope for the best but plan for the worst..........be prepared to disengage driveshaft?

unless of course, that isn't the worst and I've just jinxed things.

lrdukdog
08-15-2010, 07:37 AM
Always plan for and equip for the worst, but hope for the best. Take a Sawsall (battery/12 volt) if you have it, a BFG and pry bar, tow strap. You should be able to just shift into Neutral wo using the clutch, but ya never know with one that's been setting that long. The clutch plate and fly wheel may have become as one.
Jim Wolf
Let the Adventure Begin

I Leak Oil
08-15-2010, 07:39 AM
Yes, Lane is right. You should be able to just throw it in neutral unless there's something wrong with the gearbox. You can always put the transfer case in neutral as well.

kwd509
08-15-2010, 07:56 AM
[QUOTE=lrdukdog;56408]Always plan for and equip for the worst, but hope for the best. Take a Sawsall (battery/12 volt) if you have it, a BFG and pry bar, ............
Pardon my ignorance
BFG?

Terrys
08-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Doesn't make much difference if it was left in gear or not, you should be able to put it into neutral with out the clutch. Even if the friction disc is stuck to flywheel, or pressure plate, the clutch hydraulics are probably dry at this point anyway. Most stuck clutches can be shocked free, once you get it running, but I've seen friction plate tear apart because the steel plate was so rusted. You did't say if it was an S2(or A) or S3, but the early style pressure plate actually backs away a bit further than the late style pressure plate.
In low range first, or reverse, you can move it as fast with the handcrank as you can with a come-along. In a gasser, pull the plugs, in a diesel, loosen the injectors

bkreutz
08-15-2010, 09:57 AM
[QUOTE=lrdukdog;56408]Always plan for and equip for the worst, but hope for the best. Take a Sawsall (battery/12 volt) if you have it, a BFG and pry bar, ............
Pardon my ignorance
BFG?

I think he meant to say BFH (only one key off:D) Translation = Big F****** Hammer

lrdukdog
08-15-2010, 10:57 AM
I think he meant to say BFH (only one key off:D) Translation = Big F****** Hammer

Yep never claimed to be able to type. Big Effin Hammer it is.:(
Jim Wolf

kwd509
08-15-2010, 06:42 PM
[QUOTE=Terrys; You did't say if it was an S2(or A) or S3, but the early style pressure plate actually backs away a bit further than the late style pressure plate.

it is a 2A.....

And the other responses do indeed suggest i am anticipating one complication that seem unlikely (having to remove driveshaft). Let's hope.

lastly, even w/o the typo I would have asked what a BFH was..... but now I know.

stonefox
08-15-2010, 09:59 PM
And the other responses do indeed suggest i am anticipating one complication that seem unlikely (having to remove driveshaft). Let's hope.

.[/QUOTE]So I didn't want to sound like a pessemist(sp) about the drive shafts just didn't want you to drive down from VT and not be able to move it. Even if you had to, its still a very simple procedure at worst. In my limited experience I was not able to get it out of gear and it was the only option to move it
In fact hope you get there, put in a half gallon of fuel , turn the hand crank once , she firers up , and you drive her back to VT under her own power.:thumb-up:
By the way mines still stuck in gear if anybody has any Ideas?
If this constitutes a thread jacking I apologise,"B***h Slap" me and I'll repost. :D

kwd509
08-16-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks for the clarification. No problem as pessimism might motivate us to be prepared...... though driving it back to VT is beyond optimism. Friend looked at it and let me know the fuel filler cap has apparently been gone for years....

And by the way. If i've been advised to add mystery oil to cylinders, does it matter whether through glow plug or injector openings?

superstator
08-17-2010, 07:16 PM
Both openings go into the precombustion chamber, so the oil will just trickle through that and into the cylinder. I'd probably use the injector openings, since they're vertical (easier to get oil into), and I could let the injectors steep in some diesel while I was at it.

NRutterbush
08-19-2010, 02:16 PM
Having completed the same operation this month, I can tell you that you should be able to winch onto a trailer even without taking it out of gear.

You will probably need to air the tires. If they won't roll, brakes could be seized or transmission in gear, or some combination thereof...

Take some pieces of thin, cheap plywood, and some heavy cardboard. Putting plywood on the trailer ramps will allow them to be smooth, so that the tires (resting on squares of cardboard) will slide nicely up them. It really doesn't take much to winch onto a trailer. When I retreived mine last month, it slid up on 3 flat tires and one that wouldn't turn.

The problem was getting it OFF the trailer. I solved that by red-heading a snatch block into the rear foundation of my garage, and then using the trailer winch to winch it off into the stall.

Have Fun!!

kwd509
08-31-2010, 01:25 AM
Spent an hr poking around a local 2a today, reviewing how things are put together. Leave for Tennessee for the rover this weekend. Looks like prospects for getting it in neutral are reasonably good. And the removal of driveshaft seems like a
manageable fallback(hopefully not necessary). At present the most ominous threat is related by a friend in TN who predicts that half the chiggers in the state live around/under the vehicle.
What could go wrong, that has not been anticipated?