PDA

View Full Version : rear drive shaft ==> to U Joint ?

mrdoiron
08-14-2010, 07:37 PM
Recently had some minor trans work done, and today was casually driving at ~35mph when the rear drive shaft detached from the U joint at the gear box...

So not sure if they hadn't secured something properly, but the shaft and U connection is fully in tact and doesn't 'appear' to have any damage - it just detached from the U-Joint. The U Joint itself also appears ok - but not sure. I'm not familiar with how the U-joint connects into the shaft's U connection member (just circlips perhaps), so hoping some one can shed a quick light...

thanks...

mike

scott
08-14-2010, 09:04 PM
mike, if the u joint is attached to the rear of the xtrfr and it has a splined shaft i don't know, maybe 8" long, also attached, that shaft just slips into the end of the propeller shaft. it is meant slide a bit to allow for varying distances between the rear axle and xtrfr case. this distance varies as the suspension flexes usually when crawling over extreme terrain.

what were ya doing when it fell apart?

I Leak Oil
08-15-2010, 07:41 AM
Got a picture?

siii8873
08-15-2010, 08:55 AM
If I understand your post it sounds like the yokes came apart. If this is the case you are correct these are secured in place with circlips.

mrdoiron
08-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Here are a couple quick pics, if just circlips holding in...I am thinking the transmissions guys must have forgot to replace one, or not clipped in correctly, as I was only doing ~35mph on a straight road...

thx

siiirhd88
08-15-2010, 11:23 AM
There would have been no reason for the shop to pull the U-joints, unless they were replaced, so no circlips should have been removed. The driveshaft flange should have been unbolted from the xfer case output and at the rear diff, if needed. Check to see that the front and rear driveshaft yokes are in alignment. The driveshaft could have come apart at the slip joint, and if reassembled out of phase would have put a great stress on the U-joint. I'd think you would have noted a severe vibration....

Bob

scott
08-15-2010, 11:34 AM
your u joint exploded.

bob, i'm not so sure that not putting a slip joint back differently than the factory dude did would create that much stress. it's a farm trucks not ferrari. unless maybe the yokes on the prop were running more parallel than perpendicular

my guess is a well worn, under lubricate u joint. but the shop should have seen that coming.

i work rove drivetrains almost everyday. the last thing i do before lowering the lift is check and lube the prop shaft parts

mrdoiron
08-15-2010, 04:40 PM
it appears to have just "popped off", which makes me wonder if they even have the circlips on at all after re-assembling... anyone ever see that "just pop off" while driving low speed ? I was only a mile from home that day after a week sitting, so it wasn't at all heated up in any way.

I can't tell if the U-Joint itself is actually damanged in anyway... but suppose I should order a new one from Rovers North, as I'm not even sure where I'd find appropriate circlips alone anyway... parts on $44 it appears - and I assume it comes with circlips !

th

I Leak Oil
08-15-2010, 05:52 PM
You seem to be missing the bearing caps and I'll assume the needle bearings are spread copiously about the road. Get a new one and make sure the yoke and flange isn't damaged. There's no reason why the shop needed to take the U joint apart, if they actually did.

mrdoiron
08-15-2010, 06:14 PM
ok thanks, ordering a new one...

They had taken it apart as I had the transfer case seals redone, plus a skid plate made, I see from the pictures I took at the time it was apart...

appreciate the comments - had never taken that apart and this makes sense now.

mike

LaneRover
08-15-2010, 06:17 PM
There's no reason why the shop needed to take the U joint apart, if they actually did.

Unless of course they undid the u-joint instead of taking the bolts out.

That is if the transmission work required taking the transmission out.

mrdoiron
08-15-2010, 06:30 PM
yup, Trans it came out and got pretty up. painted too...

I Leak Oil
08-15-2010, 06:36 PM
I can honestly say I would never want to remove it at the U joint given a choice. The flange had to come off anyway to replace the seals. I just find that method a little odd.

mrdoiron
08-15-2010, 07:08 PM
not a doubt !

LaneRover
08-15-2010, 09:03 PM
I can honestly say I would never want to remove it at the U joint given a choice. The flange had to come off anyway to replace the seals. I just find that method a little odd.

I do too, but then again I wouldn't stand 10 ft from an off-road race either.

scott
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
it's idiotic to remove the u joint as a means to separate the prop shaft from xtrfr case. even if you were just replacing a u joint you don't do it with the prop in. i'd asked the shop that did your tranny why the pulled the u joint apart and if they didn't then i'd ask 'em how they can pull and reinstall a prop shaft w/o seeing the u joint was about to go.