PDA

View Full Version : RM Oil Filter:

jrd51ox
08-15-2010, 05:12 PM
Hello,
Getting ready for my first trip in the series, fishing & camping up on the Delaware river, Pond Eddy, NY. Can't wait.

I need to change the oil before we leave.

I have the Rocky Mountain spin on adapter. I was told to use the Purolator's L25195.

What do RM owners typical use on their series?

Thanks

TedW
08-15-2010, 08:33 PM
PH8A or equivalent. Holds lots of crapola and works swell.

TJR
08-16-2010, 08:46 PM
Does the 8A size really fit?

Momo
08-17-2010, 12:51 AM
I use the Purolator 25195. I had a PH8A fail years ago so haven't used Fram in a long time. Since that time there's been a lot of negative commentary on the web about Fram filters, and much of it may be unfounded viral rumor, but I feel better spending a dollar or two more... the filtration testing on the Purolator showed excellent results (it's on the web somewhere).

Wix Filters consistently get good marks, but they can be hard to find (NAPA, West Marine and many Ag supply stores carry them but you won't find them at most big retailers).

Terrys
08-17-2010, 05:51 AM
Wix Filters consistently get good marks, but they can be hard to find (NAPA, West Marine and many Ag supply stores carry them but you won't find them at most big retailers).
Carquest filters are Wix.

rejeep
08-17-2010, 06:45 AM
Carquest fillters are MADE by WIX... but not WIX..
35-40% less filter media

Auto Value and Parts Plus Jobbers carry Wix as well as Napa

LR Max
08-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Purolator L30001. It is the Purolator version of the Fram PH8A.

Whatever you do, don't put a Fram nor a K&N on there. WIX, Mobil 1 and Purolator as are all good. Either way, if you go to the parts store, just ask for PH8A equivalents in those brands and they'll take care of you. Common size.

Also BIG!

lrdukdog
08-17-2010, 09:07 AM
It seems from The G&R list that all NAPA house branded oil filters are made by WIX.
Jim Wolf

rejeep
08-17-2010, 09:39 AM
It seems from The G&R list that all NAPA house branded oil filters are made by WIX.
Jim Wolf

Same as carquest...
A lot of house brands are made by larger manufacturers.. but they are not the top quality associated with the Brand Name..

Still good .. just not the same.

LR Max
08-17-2010, 10:11 AM
BTW, you'll LOVE the spin-on oil filter adapter. Its so nice going to the store and getting the "5 quarts and a filter" deal for cheap...even though I always have to buy extra oil :rolleyes:

TJR
08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Does the 8A size really fit?

The RM adapter make the filter stick straight out vs being parallel to the engine block.

So the long PH8A does fit ok, I thought the shorter body one was needed (PH16?)

If the PH8A size fits.. I may actually install mine then

Aside from the easy of use, does teh spin one leak more or less than the canister when changing filters?

Also doesn't the canister mount have ball/check valve feeding the sending units. The RM mount doesn't. Why?

Momo
08-17-2010, 01:50 PM
The spin-on will spill its own capacity plus what is in the RM adapter neck. Not as much as an original cartridge filter. Just slip a plastic garbage bag over the filter once it is unseated, then spin off by hand and catch everything in the bag. When carefully done, you will not spill any.

Why no ball check valve? Spin on filters have a bypass valve built in. (One of the criticisms of Fram quality is that supposedly the bypass valve opens too easily and allows unflitered oil circulation.)

jrd51ox
08-17-2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone!