PDA

View Full Version : winch mount/bumper/frame extension??

jimsshuman
08-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Anyone have any pictures or good advice for extending the frame rails forward about 10 inches to make room for winch and front hitch mount for hitch hauler? I have an old warn/bellview (earlier version of 8274), hince to 10 inches. I spent a good bit of today looking and moving large angle iron around but couldn't really come up with anything to suit me.

Anyone???? :confused:

spacemutt
09-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Why not fit a winch bumper?

jimsshuman
09-06-2010, 06:01 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Bud
09-19-2010, 11:30 AM
Whatever you do, if you do it, -do it right the first time.

There is room between the frame rails for that winch. Relocate the auto tranny cooler to a higher location. I highly recommend not welding on the frame, you only provide an opportunity for enhanced corrosion on the inside of the chassis.

I suggest you look into the photos of the Range Rovers used on the Darien Gap expedition, they were fitted with capstan winches between the frame rail and behind the grill. There is actually a surprising amount of space for a winch in this area.

Looking at Rainforest Challenge vehicles and such from the uk; they should give you ideas for fitting the 8274 in a tight and trim manner. There is really no reason for anything like 10" frame extensions.

If you do it poorly, you'll either be redoing in a few years, or trying to sell a poorly modified vehicle. They only brought 3 or 4 thousand of these vehicles to the US every year.....

spacemutt
09-27-2010, 03:08 PM
And if you get it wrong, someone could have a winch in the face.

Winch bumpers only cost about £200 here. I know it's a lot of money, but at the same time, it's not... A Discovery winch bumper will fit.

As mentioned about, you can fit it between the from chassis rails, but as the oil cooler pipes are steel they will be hard to re-locate.