PDA

View Full Version : Tricks for removing doors?

bullstanky
08-18-2010, 06:58 AM
I'm trying to take the doors off of my S3 to replace the sagging hinges, but the bolts going to the bulkhead are frozen and I can't seem to get much torque with my Phillips head screwdriver. Any tricks or special tools I should know about that might help?

siiirhd88
08-18-2010, 07:06 AM
You can try an impact screwdriver that you strike with a hammer. Sears has one for around $50.00. I've had to drill out very stubborn screws just to remove the hinge from the bulkhead, and then bend the nut clips to remove them.

Bob

Bertha
08-18-2010, 09:54 AM
Drill them out and buy new

stomper
08-18-2010, 11:16 AM
aside from an impact screwdriver, I have had some luck with using a screwdriver socket. it is basicly a socket with a phillips head driver on the end. Once you fit it to a rachet or a breaker bar, you can get a considerable higher torque on the head. The problem is pushing inward on the socket to keep from stripping the head of the screw. it is cheaper than an impact driver if you are strapped for cash, but the impact driver has a lot of uses on an old rover.

amcordo
08-18-2010, 09:06 PM
I've used a giant flat head screwdriver and beat it with a hammer, then pushed the screwdriver very hard while turning very slowly. It work for me. May have to beat them hard and often though.