PDA

View Full Version : Powder coat vs Paint

mongoswede
08-18-2010, 07:42 AM
I have a bulkhead that is in need of paint. I am wondering if people have an opinion of powder coat vs traditional paint. I will have to have someone do the work in either case so the cost is about the same in both cases.

thoughts?

JackIIA
08-18-2010, 09:30 AM
well, no real tolerance issues come to mind, so powder coating sounds like a great idea. i'd think it would give a tougher surface, something that would be nice in the footwells. i never hear of ECR or other shops doing this, wonder why that is though.

pisten-bully
08-18-2010, 09:32 AM
i never hear of ECR or other shops doing this, wonder why that is though.

Likely the size of the oven required to fit a bulkhead!

Bertha
08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
The last truck I restored, I had the bulkhead powdercoated. Since I couldn't get the correct color, the powdercoater had a primer-powdercoat that they offer(kind of like a new part e-coat) that accepts paint, and I topcoated over that with the oem Rover color. So far it has held up quite well. I also used a Wurth bodywax in all cavities to further prevent corrosion.

mongoswede
08-18-2010, 09:50 AM
Likely the size of the oven required to fit a bulkhead!

there is a place near me that has an oven big enough to do truck chassis and race car frames. There was a circle car tube frame there the other day when I picked up a steal bike frame that they did for me.

redmondrover
08-18-2010, 05:44 PM
I have a bulkhead that is in need of paint. I am wondering if people have an opinion of powder coat vs traditional paint. I will have to have someone do the work in either case so the cost is about the same in both cases.

thoughts?

Galvanize it!

mongoswede
08-18-2010, 08:00 PM
Galvanize it!

I thought about that until I heard a few horror stories of bulkheads warping during the hot dip process. The other problem is there is no one near me that does galvanizing.

mike_cyul
08-19-2010, 08:42 AM
I've been talking with Pegasus Parts in the UK, and will probably order a bulkhead from them. They will not galvanize at present due to warping, but offer their brand new bulkheads in a choice of three coatings: phosphate coat finish, powder coat, and zinc metal spray.

I told them I need maximum corrosion protection, and they indicate that powder coating (paintable base cover) is the best in their opinion. Theirs meets current automotive standards and is warranted under normal conditions for up to 15 years.

Mike

amcordo
08-19-2010, 11:33 AM
I went ahead with the galvanizing. The only thing that's warped is my mind.

redmondrover
08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Our bulkhead did not warp.

However, based on the bill so far for the whole project, I think my mind is warped like amcordo...