PDA

View Full Version : Question for you spin on oil filter adaptor owners

thixon
08-20-2010, 02:22 PM
The previous owner of the collection of parts that is slowly becoming a IIA in my garage, bought and installed a spin on filter adaptor. Well, I've finished most all the mechanicals on the truck, and have bolted the body on to test fit everything before I pull it back off the paint it. Obviously, i couldn't resist the urge to test drive it. Finally!
The test drives have gone well, but the spin on adaptor is leaking like crazy at the mating surface (adaptor to block). He either forgot to put in the gasket, or he did'nt torque it right/enough. Anyone know what the recommended torque is for the two bolts that hold it on? Also, I seem to remember issues of how to orient the adaptor being batted around. If someone could refresh me on the correct orientation I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

scott
08-20-2010, 02:38 PM
Thix, torque setting is rft. The orientation may vary depending on manufacturer. Mine had a "top" and "frnt" stamp on it that I ignoered and pais dearly. It seams mine when used backwardly and with a filter that had an antisiphon valve in it greatly restricted oil flow. You should be able to tell if ya get oil pressure over 50psi

thixon
08-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Scott,

thanks for the info. I'm planning on pulling it off tonight, and I'll look for any stamping.

As for oil pressure, its hovering around 35 at idle, and kicks up to 50-55 when I hit the throttle. This is with a new, aftermarket, mechanical gauge so hopefully its close to accurate.

Any leaks with yours from the mating surface?

I Leak Oil
08-20-2010, 05:03 PM
Sounds like it's either loosened up or no/bad gasket.

yorker
08-20-2010, 06:55 PM
FWIW-I bought one once from AB that had just an "X" stamped on the side that was supposed to face forward.

czenkov
08-20-2010, 08:37 PM
So what you are saying is that if you have an adapter installed and experience 50+pounds of pressure you likely have it installed backwards? :eek: I understand that this is merely one symptom and not the deciding factor.

scott
08-20-2010, 09:54 PM
here's the other thread

http://roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8024&highlight=spin

just change oil & filter today. idle 30 running 45-50 psi. using the napa filter that's between the ph8 and ph 16 in size. using a 10w-30

SafeAirOne
08-21-2010, 06:21 PM
So what you are saying is that if you have an adapter installed and experience 50+pounds of pressure you likely have it installed backwards? :eek: I understand that this is merely one symptom and not the deciding factor.

Not likely, but possibly--You CAN get good pressure with the adapter installed incorrectly OR correctly if your oil filter has no anti-backflow valve.

Install a filter with an anti-backflow valve and youll get...what was it...8 miles or so down the road?..till your adapter informs you that you've installed it backwards.

thixon
08-21-2010, 08:44 PM
Okay, It turned out to be loose bolts, and no gasket. I made a gasket, and tightened it up, and no leaks.

My adaptor is stamped "top" so that's how I oriented it. I'm getting about the same pressure as Scott. So I presume I don't need to worry about it....correct?

czenkov
08-21-2010, 10:09 PM
I have a lot more than 8 miles on it and I believe when we saw it said "top" we oriented it that way so I think I am ok!

scott
08-21-2010, 10:17 PM
just for the record i'm lazy not stupid. i too saw the "top" but noticed it put the oil pressure/temp sensor port towards the front and i would have had to mess with the rerouting of the lines to get 'em to reach. it made no difference until fram started putting anti back flow valves in their filters

thixon
08-22-2010, 10:18 AM
Safeair and Scott,

I have a fram on it now. Should I trash it get a napa?

SafeAirOne
08-22-2010, 10:33 AM
Safeair and Scott,

I have a fram on it now. Should I trash it get a napa?

No--All the valve does is keep the filter full of oil, reducing the time that the system runs dry immediately after startup. a by-product of this is that it also keeps the oil from flowing backwards through the filter in the case where the plumbing was somehow reversed (like when an adapter is on wrong). If yours is installed correctly, the anti-backflow (or anti-drainback, I think they call it) valve is actually a good thing.

As far as I'm concerned all major brands of filters out there are equal. They'll all perform about the same for the mere 3000 miles you use them, I'm guessing.

scott
08-22-2010, 10:49 AM
trav, i just change my oil, was running the fram (w/my adptr the right way around) and it worked. i switch to napa's brand only cuz i work for a garage now and that's what the boss buys

stonefox
08-22-2010, 12:14 PM
Fellas were did you get your adapters from.Did a quick check of the host site ,and didn't see them .I remender seeing them but can't remember were.

scott
08-22-2010, 12:28 PM
http://parabolicsprings.com/products.html

stonefox
08-22-2010, 12:33 PM
Thax Scott I remembered that right after I posted.

Jim-ME
08-22-2010, 12:36 PM
Rocky Mountain sells them as does Atlantic British and British Pacific.
Jim

yorker
08-23-2010, 11:08 AM
You can also use the ilter housing adapter from the 2.5l Sometimes you can find them cheap on Ebay.uk. Jared Ivy mentions it on his Wandering Hippo site:
http://vivalaant.wordpress.com/2007/02/11/oil-down-my-arm-drip-drip/

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=597

I bought the AB adapter a while back, it still sits in a parts box somewhere. The thing came complete with a load of aluminum chips in it so if you get one from them (and I wouldn't) make sure you rinse/blow it out first. They also charged me for it twice and took three weeks to ship it to me even though it was "in stock".

LR Max
08-23-2010, 11:13 AM
You need a gasket, if it ain't in there, probably need one of those.

Also the book calls for Holymar sealant to be used on the adapter. I have a feeling RTV will work just as well here as well.

Then, tighten!