PDA

View Full Version : standard 109 frame..convert from leaf to coil

mongoswede
08-24-2010, 07:43 AM
Any reason I cannot just cut the leaf perches off and weld on spring supports? The frame on my 109 needs to be repaired or replaced and I'd like to convert it to coils.....have a range rover just dying to to donate its drive train. Other then cutting off the leaf perches and welding on the spring mounts and longitudonal arm mounts am I missing anything?

LR Max
08-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Oh it is very possible, if you are a capable fabricator. That is the limiting factor.

I'm saving up for a coil conversion but I want 3 link front and 4 link rear. Shops have been quoting me around $3k. More with coilovers.

mongoswede
08-24-2010, 09:29 AM
Oh it is very possible, if you are a capable fabricator. That is the limiting factor.

I'm saving up for a coil conversion but I want 3 link front and 4 link rear. Shops have been quoting me around $3k. More with coilovers.

are there any spring perch kits available? I am sure I can make up some spring mounts easily enough...or draw some up in CAD and have the local water jet cut them out.

SafeAirOne
08-24-2010, 10:03 AM
The frame on my 109 needs to be repaired or replaced and I'd like to convert it to coils.....have a range rover just dying to to donate its drive train.

If your chassis is bad and the RR chassis + Driveline is good, why niot just stretch the RR chassis and put the 109 body on it? Probably a myriad of things I'm not considering here, but I think you'd come out even, fabrication-wise.

I Leak Oil
08-24-2010, 10:08 AM
Agreed. If you're going to use the RRC drive train then just stretch the frame and add the body mounts for the series bodywork.

I've always wanted to keep the leafsprings in the rear and convert the front to coils. The front leafs just have horrible travel.

mongoswede
08-24-2010, 10:14 AM
Stretching the range rover has crossed my mind about 10,000 times. I go around and around in circles on this damn project. But the rangie frame is nice and solid and rust free (thinking via text) where I know the 109 frame needs work...so on the one hand the range rover stretching is tricky but a friend can do it for me for cost...the 109 frame is already the correct length...has all the mounts in place...but needs some other repairs....

anyone want to buy a rolling 109 chassis...good axles, parabolic springs, bilsteins, fairey overdrive, full drive train, :)

scott
08-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Ya guys got me rethinking my big build. Was thinking special ordering a galvi, coiler 109 frame for the ambi and using a disco drive and suspession. But now i lm thinking of just using a whole dico minus the body. Seems it be easier to weld on body mounts than suspension mounts

junkyddog11
08-25-2010, 05:22 AM
Seems it be easier to weld on body mounts than suspension mounts

It is easier in terms of work needing to be done. Stretching the frame is not hard. Refabrication of all the coil components on a Series frame is difficult and unless you are an extremely competent fabricator can result in something less than safe.

LR Max
08-25-2010, 01:34 PM
are there any spring perch kits available? I am sure I can make up some spring mounts easily enough...or draw some up in CAD and have the local water jet cut them out.

No rover-specific but you can easily buy pre-made brackets. I mean, you *can* make your own but just having them shipped to you is easy. Also they sell coil spring perches, the works.

Head over to *GASP* Pirate4x4 and search. Most people run a 4 link rear (there is a excel spreadsheet to help you) and a 3 link front (there is an excel spreadsheet to help you). Once you get the calculators, play around with them to get about 80 squat and 120 antisquat for good performance. Those seem to be the magic numbers.

Check the vendor section on Pirate for bracket vendors. I would recommend RN, but they don't specialize in that kinda work. I really think 109s lend themselves to an easy linked rear suspension.

Ditch the RRC/Disco chassis for a series body. The wheels will be set too far back and you'll have to modify the crap outta the bulkhead to make it fit.

However if you are starting with a new frame, the easiest is to buy a coiler-specific chassis or a defender chassis. Then run coiler axles and suspension.

Tim Smith
08-25-2010, 09:28 PM
If the 109 frame is still serviceable without too much work, the easiest way to improve the front end articulation and overall ride is by extending the front perches and installing rear springs in the front. The problem with standard front springs is that they are a little too short to flex easily.

These pictures are courtesy if Ike.

mongoswede
08-25-2010, 10:08 PM
If the 109 frame is still serviceable without too much work, the easiest way to improve the front end articulation and overall ride is by extending the front perches and installing rear springs in the front. The problem with standard front springs is that they are a little too short to flex easily.

These pictures are courtesy if Ike.

Cool truck...that lab looks a little evil though...guessing pic was taken mid bark or bid yawn?