PDA

View Full Version : not sure what this plate is

73series88
08-24-2010, 09:16 AM
hey everyone
rovers running great but ive got a bit of an oil leak
on the back side of the motor just behind the fuel pump there is a small plate. im not sur what it is but the gasket is leaking oil
its all pretty tight and im not sure if i can even get to it because the gear box location. im not sure what it is. it does have 3 bolts holding it in place
its a 2a motor in my with a series 3 gearbox. the oil feed line is running right behind it.
other than that everythings fine.
im gonna try and get a picture.
thanks
aaron

SafeAirOne
08-24-2010, 09:49 AM
I believe that you're referring to the camshaft cover plate.

73series88
08-24-2010, 09:52 AM
ah that would make sence do to location
i dont think i can get to the lower bolt
really close to the belhousing.
gotta think

73series88
08-24-2010, 05:05 PM
you know i thought i was in the clear with no trouble for a while.

i tightened up the cam plate and no more leak
now my alternator crapped out on me.
no charge and the ignition light is staying on.
damm these rover gods!!!

superstator
08-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Growing up, we had a little John Deere that was always broken one way or another. Every time something got fixed, something else would immediately break. Eventually, it was the starter motor's turn, and we discovered that by hitting the motor housing with a deadblow mallet you could get it to engage and start. We never fixed it because we didn't want to know what would break next, and sure enough that thing ran trouble-free for years, as long as you had the mallet handy to help it start.

Moral: Leave Well Enough Alone. I think this was a valuable lesson to learn for a future Rover owner.

stonefox
08-24-2010, 05:47 PM
Eventually, it was the starter motor's turn, and we discovered that by hitting the motor housing with a deadblow mallet you could get it to engage and start. We never fixed it because we didn't want to know what would break next, and sure enough that thing ran trouble-free for years, as long as you had the mallet handy to help it start.

Moral: Leave Well Enough Alone. I think this was a valuable lesson to learn for a future Rover owner.
Do they sell those mallets at RN for Landys:D