PDA

View Full Version : III to a II Interior

ducttape
08-24-2010, 06:07 PM
Okay, okay, lets hold the flaming to a minimum here :)

I am looking at two trucks and seriously considering both. Of course, only one comes up the winner.

Problem is the III I think is in better shape. But I REALLY prefer the interior of a II.

Can the dash/interior of a III be retro fitted back to a II?

I realize the steering wheel is what it is, but what about removing all the plastic trimmings in the III? I like the simplicity of the II. Can the speedo and other gauges, etc be moved tot he center without a whole magilla?

Any thoughts on how this might get done? On IF it can be done?

Thanks!

txffjim
08-24-2010, 07:30 PM
The bulkhead is different btwn the 2a and 3, the 3 w/o plastic looks nothing like a 2a. http://jims73rover.blogspot.com/2010_01_01_archive.html
The only thing i could think of would be to replicate a 2a dash to fit 2a guage panels on the 3.
If you reeaaalllllly like the 2a it might be easier to suffer through the rebuild and get it.

ducttape
08-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Bummer, that doesn't look at all easy

Andrew IIA
08-24-2010, 08:11 PM
Better a Proud SIII Owner than a Wannabe SIIA Owner :thumb-up:

(just saying, you do whatever you like of course)

mongoswede
08-24-2010, 08:47 PM
making a IIA dash look like a III would involve a sawzall and a grinder and if done well would fool a lot of people. Going from a III to a IIA would still involve a Sawzall and a grinder along with a welder and some creativity and would be a lot of work for aesthetic value.

LH Drive
08-24-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm converting my S3 bulkhead to as close to a S2A bulkhead as my funds can get me. Not trying to fool anyone as I also like the 2A metal dash. The S3 dash was the only reason I had considered selling my truck to try and purchase a late S2A. My great running drivetrain was the reason I decided to cut up the plastic dash and keep the LR instead.
Yes you have to cut that center hump off from the S3 bulkhead and weld in some new steel to get it flat for the dash swap. I'll post pictures when I'm done.

ducttape
08-25-2010, 05:15 AM
Please do, thanks!

I'm converting my S3 bulkhead to as close to a S2A bulkhead as my funds can get me. Not trying to fool anyone as I also like the 2A metal dash. ... I'll post pictures when I'm done.

Leslie
08-25-2010, 09:39 AM
Once upon a time.....

At the shop, had a Defender bulkhead for a Rover project, but since the Rover was a IIa, (the IIa's bulkhead was really rotten), we cut the 'tray' off of the IIa and welded it to the Defender bulkhead, so it was more like a IIA. It was a lot of work, there was a lot of artistry involved (I wasn't the one doing the welding, that's for sure!), but the end result was nice enough. It's possible.

Part of the reason for doing this, though, was because we didn't have a SIII/Defender interior, only the bulkhead. If the SIII was in decent shape, I'd suggest sticking with that, instead of trying to convert.

FWIW....