PDA

View Full Version : Greasecar Rover?

BGGB
08-25-2010, 08:13 PM
i finally got done installing a greasecar system in a 2000 powerstroke today, its a pretty cool system that allows you to run on used veggie oil from resturants. it got me wondering if anyone has every tried this on a series rig, i know it works ok on tdis but not sure on older LR diesels. some day i want a diesel in my 88 so the veggie system would be awsome, free fuel!!:thumb-up:

Donnie
08-25-2010, 08:37 PM
i finally got done installing a greasecar system in a 2000 powerstroke today, its a pretty cool system that allows you to run on used veggie oil from resturants. it got me wondering if anyone has every tried this on a series rig, i know it works ok on tdis but not sure on older LR diesels. some day i want a diesel in my 88 so the veggie system would be awsome, free fuel!!:thumb-up:
The pumps used in the older Rovers are not real tolerant of the oel as the piston pumps on V dubs & Mercedes will handle the grease with less hassle.
I have been running grease in a VW for about 4 years w/o any problems, except leaks....Am now installing a 300td into a small Ford motor home. Should be on the road next summer..In a nutshell; rotary pumps do not like it, piston pumps love it....My friend in Fla, runs grease in his Mercedes year round with a 1 tank system..he uses a lift pump to get it to the engine bay & a wrap around his filter.............on the road....

scott
08-25-2010, 08:46 PM
i heard that rover dzl are injected with land rover or bosch pumps, and the bosch pumps don't care if you run veggie or dzl

Tim Smith
08-26-2010, 10:33 PM
From all the info I've gathered, Donnie sounds to be dead on.

SalemRover
08-27-2010, 05:59 AM
I have looked into the issue and Donnie is correct. A rover injection system would have to be a two tank (one diesel / one veg) with heated fuel and injector lines to help the viscosity of the veg. The drawback to this system is that the vehicle needs to start and stop on dino diesel. Its unclear how long it takes for the lines to switch but it impairs you from running on veg for short distances. Biodiesel on the other hand is processed veg, and that is where the rover could run fine.

-Jason