PDA

View Full Version : SIII MOD - fuel system overhaul

jsrieck
08-27-2010, 10:05 AM
Hey there, I am the new owner of a 1974 ex-MOD 109" (24v). I've got the batteries charged up, oil changed, etc... The starter will spin the motor but it won't catch. The previous owner indicated that the fuel system is in rough shape, so the plan is to clean everything from the carb to the fuel tank over labor day weekend. Some questions:

1. Where can I find a carb rebuild kit?
2. When I take the fuel system apart will there be any parts I need to order replacements for now because they will be destroyed in disassembly? (e.g. gaskets, lines, etc...)
3. Any other things I should tend to that might be preventing the motor from catching?

Thanks!

SafeAirOne
08-27-2010, 07:40 PM
Questions:

1. Where can I find a carb rebuild kit?
It is customary to recommend our hosts, Rovers North, first, though any place that caters to series rover owners will probably have them. There are a few different carbs--Just kow which one you have.

[/QUOTE]2. When I take the fuel system apart will there be any parts I need to order replacements for now because they will be destroyed in disassembly? (e.g. gaskets, lines, etc...)[/QUOTE]
Depends on how "apart" you're taking it. Disassembling the fuel pump? ig so, you're gonna need a rebuild kit for that. How bout the fuel tank selector valve? Fuel sender/uplift tube?

[/QUOTE]3. Any other things I should tend to that might be preventing the motor from catching?[/QUOTE]
The ignition system? Is it functioning properly and timed correctly? Also, The fuel selector valves are known to have the cork gaskets leak as they deteriorate over time, allowing air into the fuel system. Fuel tanks are known to corrode on the inside, clogging the sediment screen on the end of the fuel uplift tube inside the fuel tanks.

SalemRover
08-27-2010, 08:35 PM
It would be a shame to go all the way through the fuel system only to find out you have a spark problem. Identify why it is not starting and fix that first. Checking the fuel delivery filter system is good maintenance and from there you can determine how much you need to do. Repairing a tank is less fun than it sounds, trust me.

-Jason

jsrieck
08-29-2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the replies. I looked for a carb rebuild kit on rovers north and didn't see one, would someone kindly point me to the link?

Thanks!

SafeAirOne
08-29-2010, 10:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. I looked for a carb rebuild kit on rovers north and didn't see one, would someone kindly point me to the link?

Thanks!

Probably easier to just call 1-800-403-7591.

scott
08-29-2010, 11:55 AM

Thanks!

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2258-genuine-rebuild-kit-zenith-carb-series-iia-iii.aspx

i only did this cause i'm still trying to make amends w/ rn for posting that thread about the sleezeball who was ripping off a bud but now looks like he's not. he threatened rn with lawyer talk cause his name and address and stuff about unnatural acts w/ farm animals was posted here