PDA

View Full Version : Greaseable tie rod ends

stonefox
08-29-2010, 09:35 AM
Been looking around and only finding greaseless tie rod ends .Any suggestions?

alaskajosh
08-29-2010, 10:49 AM
The wording of your post is a little confusing... but all TREs are greaseable according to LR literature. Take off the rubber boot, pack ball joint with grease, replace boot. The boots are available for sale too, incidentally, should one ever wear out. It seems to me that if this maintenance practice is adhered to a TRE should last a very long time indeed!
That said, I have heard of people drilling out the bottom and threading for a zerk... don't know if it's necessary as long as dirt/water are blocked out from the top with fresh grease and a fresh boot.

gudjeon
08-29-2010, 11:11 AM
I still have the old rubber boot intact on old non-greaseable ends. I pop them off once a year and fill up with gear oil. Working great thus far.:thumb-up:

TedW
08-29-2010, 12:30 PM
I have them all around.

siii8873
08-29-2010, 03:26 PM
DAP sells ones with zerk fittings.

Tim Smith
08-30-2010, 09:30 PM
I still have the old rubber boot intact on old non-greaseable ends. I pop them off once a year and fill up with gear oil. Working great thus far.:thumb-up:
Pop them out? "POP"?

Sounds like your tie rod ends might need a little more than a greasing. ;)

I'd be deathly afraid of any greasable tierod ends that were not designed that way from the get go. Not sure how DAP does it but I would need to know before I put them in.

alaskajosh
08-30-2010, 09:40 PM
I think he means he "pops" the rubber boot off.

I haven't seen DAP's but if they're doing it like the homemade ones I can't imagine any strength integrity being surrendered in drilling and taping that portion of the TRE. Still, how much harder is it to grease them the way the factory intended??

TedW
09-01-2010, 12:45 PM
Still, how much harder is it to grease them the way the factory intended??

Two things:
1) It has to be way simpler just to attach your handy grease gun and pump away, especially with hard-to reach joints like those on the steering rod. The ease of it all likely means that you will do it more often, and
2) Using the grease fitting pushes the old, dirty grease out, leaving kleen grease inside the boot.

gudjeon
09-01-2010, 01:01 PM
Finding ones with rubber boots that won't perish at the blink of an eye may be another story.....:rolleyes:

Terrys
09-01-2010, 01:21 PM
RDS has them

stonefox
09-01-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks guys ,DAP sent me the ones with zerk fittings. Sean

Tim Smith
09-01-2010, 08:38 PM
I think he means he "pops" the rubber boot off.

I haven't seen DAP's but if they're doing it like the homemade ones I can't imagine any strength integrity being surrendered in drilling and taping that portion of the TRE. Still, how much harder is it to grease them the way the factory intended??
Yeah. I was joking about the use of the word pop. Seemed like the kind of sound you want to describe something going wrong especially in the context of tie rod ends but maybe I'm just cynical.