PDA

View Full Version : Think Im going to take the plunge. Anyone from Indianapolis?

jpasiczn
08-29-2010, 04:52 PM
Hey everyone. New to post here, but been reading for quite some time. I'll start with my immediate question, then give some backround to my story. Is there anyone here from the Indianapolis, IN area?

Now, the story behind that question. I am interested in getting a series truck, IIA or early III SWB. I have done a lot of homework already, and I think Ive made my mind up. Got wife approval, started putting feelers out for my current vehicle to help finance the purchase (2002 Saab 95 Aero manual 5 speed, any takers? :D ). Only thing left to do, is to actually get in a series and go for a ride. I need to make sure I can at least fit in the thing. I'm a taller guy, 6'3 230ish, but have pretty long legs.

This will be my daily driver, but its only a 5 mile drive to the hospital I'm at for my residency. I plan on being about that distance from my practice next year. I know, it will be a huge change of pace from a modern sports saloon to a 40+ year old truck. But I'm at the point in my life (27, married, no kids, about to own my own dental practice) where I'd love to have a fun vehicle. I love working on mechanical things, and the lack of electronics on these trucks fits me just fine.

I love the idea of something from an older time, this truck makes you remember a time when things werent going a million miles an hour all day long. The thoughts these Series trucks evoke sometimes makes me wish I grew up in a different time.

Anyhow, off my stupid soapbox. I'd love to meet up with someone from Indianapolis area, sit in the truck, go for a ride with you, get a feel for the thing. I'd like to do this before I pull the trigger, but I'm having a tough time holding back with some of the rigs I see available right now.

The search and education of all things Series has been fun, and I think as the search gets more and more close to the end, the excitement will only get greater.

Thanks to anyone that has any input to a new, hopeful, soon to be, first time Series owner.

amcordo
08-29-2010, 05:50 PM
I was in the same boat as you in July 2009. I ended up flying out to Maryland to purchase my rover and drive it all the way back to Columbus. It was the first time I had ever been in one - quite the gamble in terms of whether or not I'd like it. What a fantastic car though!

I got it for use as my daily driver, though I live close enough to my work that I walk every day and only have to drive across the city once or twice a week. Your first year or two of owning it will have a steep, but relatively easy, learning curve as to how to keep it running and replace the various things that no doubt need replacement. With that in mind, unless you're well versed in them you'll probably want a backup vehicle at least for the first little while so that you're not stuck trying to figure out how to keep it running deep in winter if it dies on you.

Rineheitzgabot
08-29-2010, 07:14 PM
I'm in Fort Wayne. If you want to drive up, I would entertain the notion...

-Gary

jpasiczn
08-29-2010, 07:44 PM
Gary if I can't find anyone nearer, I may take you up on that. Thanks for speaking up, I appreciate it.
I'll let you know if I need to make the trip.

John

SGS714
08-29-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm 120mi east in Decatur, Il...but I noticed there is a Series III on eBay and it is in Indy...A 109 Wagon LHD, but I'm fairly sure the drivers position is the same.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1979-LAND-ROVER-Total-Overhaul-and-New-Frame-/120613131060?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item1c151a5334

73series88
08-30-2010, 10:17 AM
hey
i got my series 3 88 from a guy that had it sitting out behind a welding shop for 20 years wide open. no top or motor last august. got it on the road in feb and have been driving it daily since. once you get everything worked out and on a steady routine, its fine. i have a 14 mile drive to work 4 5 nights a week and its been great. i would keep a backup vehicle until everythings worked out. have fun
aaron

crankin
08-30-2010, 11:33 AM
Youa re certianly going about it the right way. I would drive one before I bought one. I know that you mentioned a SWB...but with some mods you can get more leg room with a LWB....something to think about.

I'm about 7 hours from you (Huntsville, AL), if you want to come down here, you are more than welcome to drive my truck around all day if you want.

Monkeyboy
08-30-2010, 09:04 PM
Hey John,

I've got stubby legs and can still tell there's more leg room in my 3-door 109 than in my buddy's 88.

Gary ( and PT ) in Ft Wayne should have several for you to look at / sit in.

Good Luck!

KAA

Tim Smith
08-30-2010, 11:01 PM
I once had a fast and luxurious and modern ride. Once the warrantee ran out though, that wonderful car turned into a wheely cart of epic expenses. I had enough of the rat race and gave up. That was when I picked up my rover.

In a rover the ride is rough. As for the comfort, it's rough. As for the enjoyment I get when I do drive it, it's the best.

I meet all sorts of folks just on a fill up. Friends recognize me and wave. People who don't recognize me will wave. Little kids seem elated beyond control and they wave too.

crankin
08-31-2010, 08:27 AM
I once had a fast and luxurious and modern ride. Once the warrantee ran out though, that wonderful car turned into a wheely cart of epic expenses. I had enough of the rat race and gave up. That was when I picked up my rover.

In a rover the ride is rough. As for the comfort, it's rough. As for the enjoyment I get when I do drive it, it's the best.

I meet all sorts of folks just on a fill up. Friends recognize me and wave. People who don't recognize me will wave. Little kids seem elated beyond control and they wave too.

And mid-20s women, in a hurry to get to the hair appointment, try to pass you and flip you the finger as they pass...

amcordo
08-31-2010, 08:35 AM
Must just be you Clint. They flirt with me when they pass.

And mid-20s women, in a hurry to get to the hair appointment, try to pass you and flip you the finger as they pass...

crankin
08-31-2010, 08:57 AM
There is something magical about you 109. You're going to mess it all up with the hoopla you're doing to it.

jpasiczn
08-31-2010, 10:49 AM
I've been thinking a lot about 88 vs 109 and I just love the open air ability of the 88s. I think that's part of the fun, all the different configurations you can have with one vehicle

keeping my eyes peeled for a good looking ride. If anyone sees or hears of somehing good outside the usual channels( eBay autotrader) like local caigslists, let me know

love hearing about everyone elses rides. Makes me excited for mine

John

stonefox
08-31-2010, 09:12 PM
I've been thinking a lot about 88 vs 109 and I just love the open air ability of the 88s. I think that's part of the fun, all the different configurations you can have with one vehicle

keeping my eyes peeled for a good looking ride. If anyone sees or hears of somehing good outside the usual channels( eBay autotrader) like local caigslists, let me know

love hearing about everyone elses rides. Makes me excited for mine

John
John a purchase like this will change you forever, are you ready for this?
Some men have stayed up till all hours talking with other addicts on sites similar to this (not me) .Others have mortagaged their homes for parts(not me) and others have had their wives leave them in fits of dispair(ok maybe that was me).If this is the life you want than welcome my friend you are in good company.:eek:

jpasiczn
09-05-2010, 05:03 PM
John a purchase like this will change you forever, are you ready for this?
Some men have stayed up till all hours talking with other addicts on sites similar to this (not me) .Others have mortagaged their homes for parts(not me) and others have had their wives leave them in fits of dispair(ok maybe that was me).If this is the life you want than welcome my friend you are in good company.:eek:

Luckily Im blessed with a wife that understands my obsessions. She'd much rather have me out in the garage under a truck than any number of other things some men choose to do (booze, womanize, gamble)

Once I find the right truck, I'll be living the life :cool:

jpasiczn
09-11-2010, 11:02 AM
I dont want to rush into this, but Ive found one on ebay that looks like it could be a winner. It has a new galv frame (~3k by itself), so even if theres some more work to do, this could be a killer deal, right? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Restored-1962-LandRover-Seris-II-88-bargain-price-/320588339170?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item4aa48dd7e2#ht_500wt_1182

Rineheitzgabot
09-11-2010, 01:48 PM
John,

I would be wary about that one. For the money, I would say it is a good deal (if sold for $3500, or less), if the buyer is vey mechanically inclined, and knows their way around a Series pretty well. It is certainly not a piece of junk, but it always makes my nervous when someone sells one halfway through a resto. The reason it makes me nervous is that who knows what parts he lost or destroyed that the buyer would be left to replace. For a person who doesn't know their way around a Series, said parts would be discovered with much trial and error. Like jeez, I don't know why my brakes don't work (because little do you know, the adjusters are missing, and only after lots of headaches do you figure out why).

All of the "fresh" paint everywhere makes me nervous as well. This is the kind of thing a person does during a resto that doesn't know what they're doing everywhere else, so they rely on the fresh paint to give them that "freshly restored" feeling-just my opinion. Why waste time repainting the gear shift lever silver? Okay, if it is really in need of paint, for God's sake, use black. EVERYTHING has new paint on it; whether it be overspray or intentional. This may suggest craftsmanship-levels, in other areas. What's up with the poorly painted, green fuel tank as well? Again, why not black? I get uneasy about the kind of craftsmanship that would be present in other, non-visible parts of the truck-like the brakes, or axles or something.

Perhaps the guy is not familiar with this market, but he would be able to get considerably more money if he would just finish the darn thing. Why stop where he is? He's probably got probably a couple more busy months to finish it. I know, I saw the thing about the motorcycle, but really? Brother's leavin' all kinds of money on the table, for the fact that he can't wait to get the Moto-bike workin' again. Perhaps I'm full of it.

I do not want to put the person down who is selling it. That is not my intent (nor should it be perceived that way). I am just saying that you stated earlier that you are new to this, and I think you may burn your self out, before you get a chance to enjoy it.

I would suggest that you keep looking. If money is an issue, get one that runs and drives already, then improve what you have, rather than starting behind the 8-ball, so to speak.

Also, why does he care what freight carrier the buyer uses (a friend, or his own company?)

You asked for our opinions! :o

Hope this helps.

-Gary

czenkov
09-11-2010, 02:03 PM
The odd paint colors on various pieces is an interesting choice. Be sure you can live with silver axles etc. Tearing them out for a repaint might be a pain. Find on for $5k that runs and moves that is in one piece. Missing pieces or even present but not attached could be a real challenge to someone who is new to these (myself included).

jpasiczn
09-11-2010, 02:26 PM
Gary
I completely agree with a lot of what you said. I am always wary of brand new paint over an unfinished resto. I appreciate your "honest opinion. I like hearing contrarian points of view about something Im excited for. Keeps me grounded to a certain extent. I agree that I may be better off with something that drives and has a solid frame, and then build it up from there, rather than risk getting into a can of worms.