PDA

View Full Version : SIII Hazard Warning Switch wiring

printjunky
08-29-2010, 05:15 PM
I have, apparently, a non-standard (though it looks like all the originals I've ever seen) hazard switch.

I have the Green/White and Green/Red wires that correspond to the turn signal colors, the black ground, and the Light Green/Pink wire that corresponds (I believe) to a trailer flasher hookup (If I had OEM trailer wiring setup).

It also has an inline-fused Red/White wire, which seems like it must be power into the switch.

The big mysteries are the Green wire, and the Green/Yellow wire. I don't have any schematic that lists anything like that associated with that switch or indicates anything that those wires might be substituting for.

Anyone have any insight?

Firemanshort
08-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Are you using this part?

printjunky
08-30-2010, 03:19 PM
That appears correct. I've illustrated the wire colors I have. The brown wire is also a mystery, but I've ignored it because it was most likely bringing power to something from the original fusebox and I'm getting most of my power feeds from a modern fuse box I'm adding. It starts and ends in that harness.

The big problem is I can't find a diagram that has these colors for the hazard circuit. I could just do some testing and see what works.

As illustrated, the most likely scenario is I bring power in on the red/white. Ground is black. And the green, green/yellow go to the flasher. Ignore the brown and the light green/pink.

Guess I'll give it a try.

cachinfool
09-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Not to hijack this thread but.........
I'm finally got around to some electrical (brake, tail, turn & Hazard lights) After finally figuring out that the key had to be on for the brake lights to work they worked, imagine that:rolleyes:. Tried the Hazards and nothing, tested the switch and it appears to be shot, couldn't get any continuity between any of the pins with the switch in either the on or the off position, one of the pins broke off as I pulled the connector off. Since I figured the switch was shot anyway I decided to take it apart in the off chance it was serviceable. The switch was corroded so bad inside it was no wonder it wasn't working.
The part is NLA, does anyone have a working hazard switch for a SIIa they don't need? An alternate would be to get a std toggle switch and a couple of relays. Does anyone know the pin-out of the switch, I have have a wiring diagram so I know where each of the pins go but what i need to know which pins are connected in both the on and off positions.

stomper
09-03-2010, 05:39 AM
While not original, I think this may be a better route than a toggle switch. http://www.parabolicsprings.com/products.html

about halfway down the page.