PDA

View Full Version : End of an Era

MJL
08-31-2010, 11:49 AM
Last Saturday I traded my 94 RR Classic for a 2010 VW Jetta TDI. This is the first time since 1989 that I have not owned at least one RR Classic. Twenty one years of RR ownership.

I bought my first one in 1989 - it was a 1987 model year. Silver with grey cloth interior (I preferred these to the leather seats that all my others had). This was followed some years later by a second silver 1987 model that ultimately underwent major surgery to transplant a GEMS 3.9 engine from a 1997 D90 (a far from trivial electrical task). I sold the first 1987 - but not before I switched the seats over !!

I also bought 2 1994 Classics. The first one was sold about 3 years ago and was used to be a donor vehicle to a friend's Classic that had been rolled when off-roading.

The second 94 was the one I just sold. I'll really miss it. My kids all learned to drive in RR's and did their fair share of off-roading too so it will be a big miss for the family.

I'm still part of the Land Rover family as I have a 1972 Series III (have to keep something to keep the driveway oiled) and a 2006 Range Rover Sport but there will always be a place in my heart for the Classic