PDA

View Full Version : frame repair

swingkeel
09-01-2010, 10:43 AM
I am looking for a shop in the Mid Atlantic area (I am in Baltimore) to do some welding and repair on the rear spring perchs of my 109. Anybody have any first hand experience with a shop that knows Land Rovers and does this kind of work? Thanks in advance!

All the best, Michael

disco2hse
09-01-2010, 08:15 PM
You talking about the outriggers off the chassis or the rear cross member?

Springs do not attach to the frame.

But if you are then any competent welder ought to be able to repair them if required.

swingkeel
09-01-2010, 08:59 PM
Thats putting a fine point on it mate! The attachment for the front of the rear springs at the outrigger (which some might consider part of the frame). In any case, I am looking for a shop that has done it before. Know of any here in the Delmarva penninsula?

disco2hse
09-01-2010, 09:54 PM
Know of any here in the Delmarva penninsula?

Sorry, no. Little out of my buying area :D

If they are severely rusted it may be cheaper and safer to get replacement outriggers. They are not that expensive (compared with the cost of fabricating new ones).

scott
09-01-2010, 10:37 PM
the disco dude's right, any decent welder can most likely handle a frame repair, these things weren't engineered or built by rocket surgeons

Tim Smith
09-04-2010, 08:27 PM
the disco dude's right, any decent welder can most likely handle a frame repair, these things weren't engineered or built by rocket surgeons
I thought it was brain scientists.

scott
09-04-2010, 10:32 PM
I thought it was brain scientists.

absolutely could maybe be

Tim Smith
09-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I think we can be sure they weren't designed by rocket brains. Phew!

spacemutt
09-05-2010, 12:45 PM
As is said above, I'd rather go to someone who is good at welding, than someone who just knows about Land Rovers. Metal is metal. The trick is making it stick together. :)

thixon
09-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Singkeel,

Find a reputable welding/fab shop in your area. If its a good shop, they'll make short work of it. That job really doesn't require prior rover experience. All you need is enough left of the original outriggers for use as reference on where to clamp the new ones on before welding. Having a good solid weld it really important there. A resto shop that's done work on rovers before may have tried the job in the past, but that doesn't gaurantee the guy who tackles it is a good welder. I have a TR3 in my garage right not that came to me from a guy who took it into a resto shop in ATL. It needed new floorpans, doglegs, and a battery box. After he saw their attempt at putting in the floor pans, he took the car back (had to pay 3G's to get it!). Its a joke. Now it sits at my place, and he's paying me to undo what they did, straighten the body, and fix everything they didn't do. Go figure.

scott
09-06-2010, 12:20 AM
my welds suck, well look like they suck. never had one fail, knock on old rusty iron, i just spent a few hours, enjoyed a bunch of beer and cut away the rusty ends of the frame horns, welded on some 6 inch extension and remounted the bumper now with enough room to mount jerri cans behind the brush guard. purist will hate but don't care cuz i get to drive a series every day.

Tim Smith
09-06-2010, 07:00 AM
Sometimes a pretty weld is not the strongest weld. At least thats what I keep reminding myself. ;)

scott
09-06-2010, 08:08 AM
Sometimes a pretty weld is not the strongest weld. At least thats what I keep reminding myself. ;)

i tell myself "that's why god made grinders"

Tim Smith
09-06-2010, 08:04 PM
i tell myself "that's why god made grinders"Oh dear mate. Mine aren't soft wheel bad. Just not made for TV good. One day I'd like to make a major weld and cook my breakfast at the same time.

Schmoke and a pancake any one?