PDA

View Full Version : hard hot starting??

1961 109 WAGON
03-19-2007, 07:20 AM
my 2.25 liter with the the stock solex carb starts fine cold, or semi warm.now if i take it five miles or more to get gas or stop at a store, cut if off, it cranks for five seconds before finally running, sorta like vapor locks. i have a inline glass filter right before the carb, so yes its getting gas, and points are at .15 thousands.anyone have this problem, or know how to fix it??, thanks:thumb-up: , nathan

singingcamel
03-19-2007, 09:27 AM
check your timing.

Jeff Aronson
03-19-2007, 01:56 PM
My two '66's have two different carbs, a Weber and a Solex. The Solex seems to run richer all the time than the Weber, so I have to start the cars differently.

Good for you for checking the points. You mention the gap but not the condition of the points. If one side has a mound or pitting, the spark will not be as effective, regardless of the gap. Hot starts always seem to require a longer cranking than cold starts, and you don't need an extra gas to get it started.

Have you checked your intake manifold gasket for leaks, or the bolts for looseness? The mixture will lean out when you're trying to start it if the gasket is broken. With a low idle, spray some WD 40 around the intake manifold, the base of the carb, and the carb body. If you have a leak, the rpm will rise while you're spraying. That will affect starting, too.

My Solex has lots and lots of gaskets and seals which can deteriorate over time and screw up the mixture; the Weber has about 2 gaskets. It may be time to rebuild the carb if you have leaks.

Good luck,

Jeff

LaneRover
03-19-2007, 02:22 PM
I have always found that starting my Rovers when they are hot takes a bit more turning over and the accelerator to the floor. Though 5 seconds does seem a bit too long.

jp-
03-19-2007, 06:00 PM
I have the opposite problem, my Solex 2.25 will start great when hot, but takes about 5 revolutions to catch when cold (with max choke).

jp-
03-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Shift.......

1st Gear

1961 109 WAGON
03-19-2007, 09:02 PM
jeff, the points are still pefectly flat, no pitts, or mounds. i have yet to check the timing
onto the intake gasket, i just pulled the exhaust manfold off due to a crack/hole.all the studs where just hand tight and were removed with ease. ill try the wd-40 trick once reinstalled. i do this to my two stroke atv's and atc's to find crank case leaks
i may just rebuild it, the kit is only $30
cold starts in 35 degree weather, choke all the way out, is about 1/2 a revolution and it fires right up, every time!
thank you all for the help!!:thumb-up:

jac04
03-21-2007, 08:18 PM
I had similar issues with my original Solex. Once the engine was hot and I shut it down, it took a lot of cranking to start it. I found that the carb was dumping gas into the intake manifold after shut-down. I tried (and tried and tried) to fix it, but I could never find the problem. I finally ended up switching to a Weber and everything has been OK since.

bamarover
03-21-2007, 11:10 PM
Any smoke from the tailpipe once it gets warm? It will be black smoke if the carb is dumping too much gas in the mix at that point. Lots of it when there is lots of gas extra (enough to get in the oil can happen)! Don't ask me how I know!:D
Just a thought.
Grg