PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used POR 15 Rust Stopper?

LH Drive
03-19-2007, 11:31 AM
I know the product has been around since 1980 and I have read reviews on it. Has anyone here used this product on a Series Frame or Bulkhead?
My 1972 Series III frame is in pretty great shape with only some surface rust that I plan to scrape off before I paint or use POR 15. I know that frames can and usually rust from the inside out, thats why its best to have them galvinize dipped.
I'm not doing a frame off restoration, I only have the front floor/seat base removed while I have the transmission/t-case/over drive out for new seals and a new clutch/PP to install. This would be a good time to treat the center section of my frame/cross member. They sell POR 15 in small 4oz. or 16 oz. cans so you can do sections of your frame and not let an entire gallon go to waste before you get to the other half of the frame weeks later

yorker
03-19-2007, 11:36 AM
It works ok, needs to be topcoated though. Look at Corroless, also sold by Eastwood as their "Rust Encapsulator"..

bamarover
03-19-2007, 12:49 PM
I have used POR-15 on a FFR roadster (5years old) and more recently a 1971 IIA. No problems on either, to date. A word for consideration: it is only better than epoxy or other good paint if you apply it to bare metal that has been prepared with Marine Clean (to rid of greas and oil films - common on frames) and Metal Ready (etches the metal so the POR 15 can grip) both products they sell. If you apply POR 15 to a previously painted surface, I don't believe it has the rust inhibiting properties it can have when applied to bare metal.
I like it a lot, looks a lot like powdercoating. Do not get it on you and let it dry. I wore some for awhile. :D Must be topcoated if it sees the sun. Frame probably okay except in fender wells. front and rear exposed rails.
Good luck,
Greg

jp-
03-19-2007, 05:51 PM
I have used POR-15 on a FFR roadster (5years old)
Greg

Greg,

I must hear more about this FFR. I am thinking of doing one.

msggunny
03-19-2007, 06:57 PM
I just got done hitting up some rust spots on my bulkhead with POR 15, going to coat it with Herculiner next. wanted to stop the rust before i put the Herc on. Seems to do well, used a bit on my Toy too.

LH Drive
03-20-2007, 08:55 AM
I ordered 3 small 4oz cans of por 15 and some Marine Clean, Metal Ready. Again I only want to cover the center section of the frame while the seat base and drivetrain are out. Thanks for the information and i'll try and keep it from coming in contact with my skin or the garage floor. Will post before and after pictures.

Jim-ME
03-20-2007, 10:49 AM
I have rebuilt a rear axle and used POR 15 as a base coat(2 coats) covered by 2 coats of POR primer and 3 coats of spray Rustoleum. It looks great and time will tell if it works but I will continue to use it until it doesn't prove itself.
Jim